OMFS residency information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poppin_them_8z

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
This is my first message on this Board! I have had a lot of fun reading all the wonderful tips/advice/hints/experiences.. it is a truly a great site, and whoever started this site forum need a pat on the back for a job well done.

Now, i am working as a General Dentist right now. I am pursuing a career in OMFS. I have worked only as an associate dentist in private clinics since graduation from dental school in 2003.
I wish to get into an OMFS school next year. I am thinking of applying for an OMFS 1 year internship to get some hospital experience, since I don't have any of that.

1) Could anyone tell me what is a good place to do an 1 year internship at in either New York or Pennsylvania for OMFS?
2) Are Part 1 Board exam scores of over 90% an absolute requirement or recommended for entry in OMFS residency?
3) What other things can I do to boost my portfolio and increase my chances of entry in an OMFS residency program?
4) With respect to 4 vs 6 yr OMFS programs.. what are the advantages of getting an MD? Will it give u more hospital OR-time is it more of just a status thing?
5) Which OMFS residency programs in New York or Pennsylvania (since I live in Philadelphia and want something close to home).
Thanks a lot.
bye

Members don't see this ad.

I hope this helps:

1) Could anyone tell me what is a good place to do an 1 year internship at in either New York or Pennsylvania for OMFS?
-You should try to do an intern year at the program that you want to go to. The following programs take interns:
-Penn-6yr, Washington Hospital Center-4yr (DC-same distance from Philly as NY), Montefiore-4yr, Maryland-6yr (you will get your butt kicked here), Cornell-6yr, other small NYC programs too.
2) Are Part 1 Board exam scores of over 90% an absolute requirement or recommended for entry in OMFS residency?
-Not absolute, but it helps. Some programs may have a 90% cut off, others may not.
3) What other things can I do to boost my portfolio and increase my chances of entry in an OMFS residency program?
-Intern year is a good idea, research in the field
4) With respect to 4 vs 6 yr OMFS programs.. what are the advantages of getting an MD? Will it give u more hospital OR-time is it more of just a status thing?
-Depends on what you want to do with your OMFS career. If you want to be in private practice only and take out wisdom teeth and place implants, 4 year programs are fine. If you are thinking about academics or a fellowship, 6 years programs are a good idea. The MD also may help with hospital privelages where you want to practice. The medical education will also give you a much better understanding of your patient's other potential medical problems.
5) Which OMFS residency programs in New York or Pennsylvania (since I live in Philadelphia and want something close to home).
-There are tons of programs in Philly / NY, you just have to look them up as Tooface suggested. In my opinion there are better ones and not so great ones, but they will all give you the OMFS certificate in the end. They best programs in the area are: Penn, Long Island Jewish and Columbia (all 6 yr). If you are looking for a 4 year program, I would look at Montefiore and Washington Hospital Center, but there are many more 6 and 4 year programs in the area.

Good luck

thanks a lot omfsdoc and toofache. that helped a lot.
i have decided to do an internship to get my feet wet. and also i will rewrite my part 1 board exam again to get over 90% this time (since the first time i did it, i got less than 90%).
Also, do either of you know about Mount Sinai Hospital (and affiliated Veteran Affair Medical Centre) in New York. How is the 6 yr mount sinai program? is it competitive? any graduates from there? do they teach u a lot of stuff?