OMFS Residency on a TN Visa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CanadaOMS

Reaction score
Hey there, I’m hoping to hear from a few Canadians who are currently on TN visas during OMFS residency. I have a few questions about the process and how it works.

Any ideas which programs have been willing to sponsor a TN?
How have you managed the “3-year term” on your initial visa for a 4-year program?
Any difficulties at the border or things to look out for?

You can also PM me if you prefer.
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
4 year programs. 6 year programs are more complex due to the medical school issue, so typically they will not take canadians for those. with a 4 year program it is a simple tn visa. You simply renew the tn visa at the end of the 3 years

Yes, but this varies from program to program. Also with 6y programs, the med school portion on a TN may prove to be difficult. In the end it is going to come down to if that institution is willing to sponsor a TN for residents and even then, will require a back and forth from a TN to a F1 back to a TN. I don't have a list of ones that do. You'd have to reach out to programs individually for that, but that's typically something that comes up after you match.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, but this varies from program to program. Also with 6y programs, the med school portion on a TN may prove to be difficult. In the end it is going to come down to if that institution is willing to sponsor a TN for residents and even then, will require a back and forth from a TN to a F1 back to a TN. I don't have a list of ones that do. You'd have to reach out to programs individually for that, but that's typically something that comes up after you match.
So they rank you still and worry about the visa situation later? wouldn't that aspect be something evaluated by the program, and if deemed a problem they wouldn't bother interviewing you, to begin with? I'm just curious as to why is it an afterthought? I will be experiencing this (hopefully) in the coming cycle and would appreciate the feedback. Thank you!

So they rank you still and worry about the visa situation later? wouldn't that aspect be something evaluated by the program, and if deemed a problem they wouldn't bother interviewing you, to begin with? I'm just curious as to why is it an afterthought? I will be experiencing this (hopefully) in the coming cycle and would appreciate the feedback. Thank you!
If they have experience doing it before they probably are not concerned. But if they have any doubt in their mind they would likely not rank you. Best to apply to four year programs just to be safe. If you do want to have the option to do medical school you can always go to a program that has both types of programs and if you get accepted to four year and then there is a way for them to try to do the six year for you I have heard of people from Canada going that route.

Reactions: 1 user
There are other options other than the TN for residency (either 4 or 6). While TN is the easiest one to get done its not the only way to go about it. It's not an afterthought.