OMFS Residency Please Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kamalraed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m a freshly graduate international Dentist and a new landed immigrant in Canada, I have my mind sent on OMFS residency in USA as chances are much smaller here in Canada, the problem is that I need to be here in Canada for the next 2 years (immigration rules) so I want to know during those two years what can I do to improve my CV or my application for an OMFS residency position in USA as am planning to apply for it after I finish my 2 years. Of coarse sitting at home and studying for the nbde alone wont help.
I tried research but couldn’t find any research in OMFS in Canada even as a volunteer.
Do you think an observer ship will help? Do u think registering in some CONTINUING DENTAL EDUCATION courses at uni of Toronto will help
(Ones related to surgery of coarse)?
I mean I realize I need to be doing something to improve my application but I don’t know what.
I will extremely appreciate any guidance

Members don't see this ad.

3 things:
-get a US dental degree (DMD or DDS): MANY programs cant/wont take you with out
-become a US perm resident (greencard)
-rock part 1

Those 3 things will improve your odds of matching in the US more than anything else.

mmm makes sense
Well am a Canadian perm resident so in 2 years I will get the passport
and am in the process of applying to a Canadian dental school to get a Canadian DDS/DMDwhich is accredited in the states, but it needs time (an exam in may then interview next December then practical exam February) so it will take me some time to get into a dental school about a year and half, their should be something I can do during this time.
And what about the continuing dental education courses does it help at all?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can't practice dentistry either? What a shame to just graduate dental school then come over and not be able to practice dentistry... geez

Sorry to be the one to say this, but it's going to be an uphill battle for you. It is very hard to get into a qualifying program in Canada in the first place. So that should be your first priority. Without it, you won't be considered for any omfs program. I agree with the above post that you will need to rock part 1. You need to set yourself apart from the rest of US trained, top applicants. consider quality research with big name omfs, try to get some publications and great letters of recommendation. A green card is not necessary but will give you more choices as some program wont consider non residents.
Best of luck.

Thx guys I really appreciate it I really needed such a guidance I mean really when you are new to a system u just don’t get a thing.
Am trying to get into a Canadian qualifying program as you said it’s extremely hard it needs lots of work.
Mean while tried looking for a research in Canada but couldn’t find any, if anybody knows anything about research in Canada I will appreciate it if they could help me.
Publications i will try to do such a thing when am done with this Canadian exam
But what is currently possible is an observer ship in OMFS and the continuing dental education courses do you think any will help???????