omfs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
drhobie7 said:
You need to spend a week with an OMS in a hospital and then you'll have a much better idea of what they do.
Mah diddy said he don't want no dentist pullin no teef without knockin him out cause he shoots dogs what come in the yard.

Members don't see this ad.

harvarddogpoop0ie.jpg

<dinesh falls to the ground laughing uncontrollably>

Dog is probably really enjoying that.

Members don't see this ad :)
this is some funny stuff....good one tx oms! :laugh:

Freaking too funny!! :laugh:

BBGUN said:
I agree with all of you.I ma yet to come across a omfs with or without MD who could make it into a medical fellowship,principally plastics.Infact check out this website safeplasticsurgery.org.
I do agree when an MD questions your surgical skills as most of the time your specialty deals only oral cavity and TMJ.Comfort levels of a surgeon is an issue,but most of the time oral surgeons in pvt practise prefer to do only small procedures coz 'if by any chance they get sued they can defend themselves.If you are sued for a radical neck dissection ,even with an MD the Omfs will be in hot water.It all comes down to economics as some above mentioned .The more riskier the procedure more the insurance.
I always wondered about people going to an oral surgeon for iv sedation.Incase ,the patient codes on his chair ,office doesnt even have a backup MD,or specifically an anesthesiologist.When I am ready to get my 3rd pulled out I am going to a hospital where there is a back up when I am sedated .All this because ,one of my patients coded and I could see the omfs faculty pissin in their pants coz they did not have an anesthesiologist .I guess lot of things are deduced out of personal experiences.

Wow, you really have no idea what you're talking about.

Based on your post history, I'm guessing that you are a foreign trained dentist, a liar (who didn't go to Harvard), and someone who knows ABSOLUTELY nothing about OMFS.

For your education, I've posted a copy of the Accreditation Standards for Residency Training in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. I'm sure you'll apologize to everyone after you read these pages and find that you are sorely mistaken about what oral surgeons can and cannot do.

For example, you seem to think that OMFS aren't trained to administer anesthesia or manage codes...Please refer to Anesthesia - Section 4-9, PP. 25-26

Attachments

• oms.pdf
    97.6 KB · Views: 178
UConn_SDM said:
Can someone please translate??? I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt and so I assume it's just me who's having a hard time understanding what's being said. I speak english and want to know if there is someone here who speaks......well whatever BBGUN speaks.

Maybe it's because I didn't go to Harvard???

Man, cut the guy some slack. He went to Harvard afterall...you know he has no hand skills. Can barely type a couple words, much less a complete sentence.

UConn_SDM said:
I'm ready to urinate in my pants! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oh crap! Did your patient code and the anesthesiologist go on break?

toofache32 said:
I got a PM too, but it didn't really make any more sense. I'm not sure why he's hiding now. Maybe you guys can help decipher:

"I can feel every pore in your body oozing jealousiness.It is human to be like that,and american board of oral an maxillofacial surgeons is the parent body.Dint feel like putting it out in the open ,thus demeaning your intelligence.
And ,if you dont know where harvard is,this might just realate to your life"Little knowledge is dangerous".
Sorry,if I sound arrogant .Have to step up and be like that in this worl d.You know what I am talking about.But,I retreat and will give you the benefit of being unwise."
--BBGUN

I guess the poor guy couldn't take the heat publicly anymore, and had to get his last word in private. Unbelievable...

I've seen and heard some ridiculous things from Harvard guys, but this guy seems a little too bizarre to actually be one of them. I'm seriously doubting that this guy has finished dental school, much less started a GPR. If he's already starting his second GPR year, how many more are in store for him? I'd have to venture a guess of three or four?

This is just basic info on the MD option.

Look at the program as some only go a couple years, others do 3 and some a bit more. We do 1 partial ,2,3 and part of 4th here.

1st. 4 year guys are just as well trained in OMFS as 6 year guys, even more so in certain aspects of OMFS, as they typically spend more than the 30 months on service required by the ADA; most 6 year progams only have time for 30 months on OMFS. With that said, the 6 year guys usually have a better grasp of medical knowledge and how to apply it...please do not argue 4 year guys it is not a matter of intelligence here just the facts of spending more time in the classroom and on rotations as a medical student. The choice to do a 6 year program has to do with your personal goals nothing more.

However, According to JOMS, MD trained OMFS have more privilages in hospitals for procedures. This is just a fact and has to do with licensing boards at hospitals, not skill levels. You must have the DDS with a license to get sedation privilages in all states unless you are a gas passer (aesthesiologst) so this is a mute point. In general those pursuing MDs usually THINK they prefer hospital settings as career choices (much less pay, more hours, but bigger cases) but this not always the case.

Hope this helps.

P.S. When I was in dental school I thought it was ok for perio or a GD to get IV sed certified. After spending some time on anesthsia, doing a few hundred sedations, and seeing what can go wrong, I no longer feel this is in the pt's best interest. OMFS guys have required training in anesthesia and perform more sedations during residency alone than most perio/GD will do in a lifetime so they usually have a great grasp of how to manage emergencies...think about it a second. As well, OMFS are the only dental specialty with hospital admitting privilages which means they have the needed education to preoperatively evaulate a patient prior to sedation...believe me, know who can safely undergo sedation is more important than knowing how to push drugs.

Training, whether in a 4-year or 6-year program, depends a lot on the program itself rather than its duration. Some programs are very dentoalveolar-heavy, others are orthognathic-heavy, while others are pathology/cancer-heavy. Every resident, whether in a 4-year or 6-year program, is going to be trained more thoroughly in some areas than others, however all will (or should) have a minimum amount of training in all the required disciplines. On top of that, you should be aware that some 6-year programs have some 4-year residents filling-in for drop-outs. It happens. Do you think that the 4-year chief resident is going to be better trained than his 6-year cohort?

Look at the program as some only go a couple years, others do 3 and some a bit more. We do 1 partial ,2,3 and part of 4th here.

1st. 4 year guys are just as well trained in OMFS as 6 year guys, even more so in certain aspects of OMFS, as they typically spend more than the 30 months on service required by the ADA; most 6 year progams only have time for 30 months on OMFS. With that said, the 6 year guys usually have a better grasp of medical knowledge and how to apply it...please do not argue 4 year guys it is not a matter of intelligence here just the facts of spending more time in the classroom and on rotations as a medical student. The choice to do a 6 year program has to do with your personal goals nothing more.

However, According to JOMS, MD trained OMFS have more privilages in hospitals for procedures. This is just a fact and has to do with licensing boards at hospitals, not skill levels. You must have the DDS with a license to get sedation privilages in all states unless you are a gas passer (aesthesiologst) so this is a mute point. In general those pursuing MDs usually THINK they prefer hospital settings as career choices (much less pay, more hours, but bigger cases) but this not always the case.

Hope this helps.

P.S. When I was in dental school I thought it was ok for perio or a GD to get IV sed certified. After spending some time on anesthsia, doing a few hundred sedations, and seeing what can go wrong, I no longer feel this is in the pt's best interest. OMFS guys have required training in anesthesia and perform more sedations during residency alone than most perio/GD will do in a lifetime so they usually have a great grasp of how to manage emergencies...think about it a second. As well, OMFS are the only dental specialty with hospital admitting privilages which means they have the needed education to preoperatively evaulate a patient prior to sedation...believe me, know who can safely undergo sedation is more important than knowing how to push drugs.[/QUOTE]

I ma yet to come across a omfs with or without MD who could make it into a medical fellowship,principally plastics.Infact check out this website safeplasticsurgery.org.

That website was whacked. What the hell is with the colour coded alert system? It's like a homeland security advisory... Better send in the troops, those uppity dentists are at it again...

Seriously, some of the states it had listed as 'safe' were states that Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons are the most heavily into cosmetic or aesthetic surgery... Texas... Minnesota...

Amusing, the deliberate use of the term 'dental surgeon' instead of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon. In which case, I would agree with them. A Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) without any postgraduate training does not have the skills to perform most aesthetic surgery procedures.

I think we as a specialty should make a foray into butthol bleaching. I hear the money is huge... Come in for your wizzies, get your anus whitened at the same time, all whilst aslumber in a twilight sleep...

Sheesh.

Strength and Honour.

sounds like the consenses is in on BBGUN. I'm a 3rd year dental student applying for OMFS. any suggestions for research, externships...

any sources that tell you what kind of stats are needed for the 6yr and 4yr programs. what type of NDBE and GPA are needed for each?

any sources that tell you what kind of stats are needed for the 6yr and 4yr programs. what type of NDBE and GPA are needed for each?

Do a search. The stats are the same either way...get over a 90 on boards, top 10% class rank and you will probably get a spot as long as you don't botch your interviews.

You must have the DDS with a license to get sedation privilages in all states unless you are a gas passer (aesthesiologst) so this is a mute point.

Or.......you can be a reject and obtain a DMD.

Do a search. The stats are the same either way...get over a 90 on boards, top 10% class rank and you will probably get a spot as long as you don't botch your interviews.

Ha, I'll try not to piss'em off. I'm getting diff #'s from diff schools. do u know of a site that compares the programs? It seems like a vague process.

Any insight would be appreciated.

The requirements are vague because your competition is whoever else applies, and it differs every year. The answer is just do your best and see what happens.