OMG August PCAT almost here!!!!!!!

Started by UH Pharm
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

UH Pharm

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Only 3 more weeks.............The anticipation is killing me!

Start cramming guys:laugh:... just kidding

I just hope I don't pass out after the test, time flies by fast.
 
Only 3 more weeks.............The anticipation is killing me!

Start cramming guys:laugh:... just kidding

I just hope I don't pass out after the test, time flies by fast.

good luck! if you haven't done practice tests already, do it now. it will help. if you take the practice test seriously and focus, you can see how well you might do on the actual test. once you know how your practice test felt, study the parts where you need to improve. but don't make the mistake of being too confident about a section and just skipping it. review those even a little and it will help.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
if you haven't done practice tests already, do it now. it will help. if you take the practice test seriously and focus, you can see how well you might do on the actual test. once you know how your practice test felt, study the parts where you need to improve. but don't make the mistake of being too confident about a section and just skipping it. review those even a little and it will help.

I second this. I took the June PCAT and aside from studying subjects, what saved me was doing practice timed tests over and over again. Good luck!
 
Guys I have a big problem with the reading section. Every time I am on this section I am always zoned out for some reason and I cannot concentrate. And as a result, I am failing all of my reading subtests miserably. How do you guys stay focused? What suggestions do you have for me?



Thanks a lot
 
You know what, I used to have the same problem. By the time I'm halfway through the first passage I either forget or can't comprehend because it just gets soo boring. I don't mind reading but I like to read things that I'm interested in.

Its not that I don't understand the passages, I do but some of the passages are uninteresting and really boring which is why I lose interest in this section.

Something that does help me keep focus and I know this might sound pretty dumb but it helps when reading the passages "pretend you are really interested in what you are reading, no matter how boring the passage is... read as if you really want to know more about the material that will help you keep focused. Regardless if the reading passage is talking about obesity, diabetes, or any other scientific topic, pretend that your really interested in it and "actively read the passage" that should help you stay focused.

I don't know any other way to help you in this section but when I'm reading, somewhere in my subconscious I tell myself I want to learn about this and tell my brain that this is interesting, it somehow helps my brain stay focused with the material.
 
one thing i tried was underlining main points in the passages i read. it helps me stay focused and know where to look for information on the passages. making notes on the margin helps too sometimes.
 
Do you guys know how long the break during the PCAT is? Is it long enough for a quick lunch break? lol

Since the test is so long are we allowed to bring any food or water?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From memory, here's the order:
Writing (Essay) #1 30min
Verbal Reasoning 30min
Biology 40min
Chemistry 50min
15 minute break
Writing #2 30min
Reading Comprehension 50min
Quantitative Ability 50min
 
Guys I have a big problem with the reading section. Every time I am on this section I am always zoned out for some reason and I cannot concentrate. And as a result, I am failing all of my reading subtests miserably. How do you guys stay focused? What suggestions do you have for me?



Thanks a lot

I used to be an SAT tutor and here is the advice for they used for students who couldn't concentrate. I would recommend taking the practice test and trying it there because it might not be completely applicable to the PCAT.

1. Read the first two sentences of the first paragraph and the last two sentences of the last paragraph. This gives you a general idea what the passage is about.

2. Go to the questions. Read the question. If it is a general question like what is the main idea or what is a good title, skip this. If it is a specific question, like what did the author mean by this in paragraph one, read the passage until you find the answer. The questions were in order for the SAT but I'm not sure about the PCAT so test this out before you try it for real. Repeat until you have answered all the specific questions.

3. After you have answered all the specific questions, go back to the general questions you skipped. By that time, you should have read the whole passage and should be able to tell the main idea or a good title or the mood, etc.

This method used to help students who would get bored in the middle of the passage and forget what they were reading. Many found it easier to hunt down specific information than to read the whole thing first and try to remember everything.
 
this is the correct order for the pcat:

Writing - 30 min
Verbal - 30 min
Bio - 30 min
Chem - 30 min

Break - 15 minutes

Writing - 30 min
Reading - 50 min
Quant - 40 min
 
I used to be an SAT tutor and here is the advice for they used for students who couldn't concentrate. I would recommend taking the practice test and trying it there because it might not be completely applicable to the PCAT.

1. Read the first two sentences of the first paragraph and the last two sentences of the last paragraph. This gives you a general idea what the passage is about.

2. Go to the questions. Read the question. If it is a general question like what is the main idea or what is a good title, skip this. If it is a specific question, like what did the author mean by this in paragraph one, read the passage until you find the answer. The questions were in order for the SAT but I'm not sure about the PCAT so test this out before you try it for real. Repeat until you have answered all the specific questions.

3. After you have answered all the specific questions, go back to the general questions you skipped. By that time, you should have read the whole passage and should be able to tell the main idea or a good title or the mood, etc.

This method used to help students who would get bored in the middle of the passage and forget what they were reading. Many found it easier to hunt down specific information than to read the whole thing first and try to remember everything.

Thanks for the advice.

BTW for anyone who has taken the PCAT, are the questions in order?
 
I completed a practice test in the Kaplan Book a couple of days ago. As expected, the percent I got correct in Chemistry and Quantitative Analysis were lowest. I'll keep reviewing those sections over the next couple of weeks. I also have the Cliffs 5 practice tests, so I'll probably do 2 or 3 of those.
 
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!! I've been watching this forum for a while but never got around to registering - now that the PCAT is fast approaching Im feeling very anxious and nervous and wanted to wish everyone some good luck!! 👍
 
For anyone who has already taken the PCAT, for the essay writing part, do they ask for only one solution to the problem? or as many solutions as possible? 'Cause in Kaplan they have essay topics in which they ask to discuss just one solution and Barron's ask for possible solutions.

Thanks in advance. 🙂