OMG, finding a pharmacy job...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This kind of story is unacceptable to be posting around here. You will not be making any friends with comments like that.

Add in a little bit of economic doom, desperation, and perhaps a some depression and you might actually make some friends.

Oh, common.... He has already trimmed out the fats like 100K sign-on bonus, helicopter rides to work, corporate prostitutes, and personalized sauna room at work, etc., that we all know all new pharmacists are getting.

Members don't see this ad.

This kind of story is unacceptable to be posting around here. You will not be making any friends with comments like that.

Add in a little bit of economic doom, desperation, and perhaps a some depression and you might actually make some friends.

I don't know he equated working full-time to a living hell so he may fit in.

Wow, I must say as a 4th year pharmacy student slaving away studying, this is such an inspirational thread to see as finals approach. All that hard work for nothing? That's too cruel to be a nightmare...

lol I feel you...p1 and heartbroken

Members don't see this ad :)
If you as a pharmacy student really want to know how difficult it is to find a pharmacy job now, you can do an experiment. First compose a dummy resume. Make it as close as possible to how you think it will look like when you are an actual pharmacist (i.e., don't put you are in Rho Chi if you don't think you will ever get in). Second, target a geographical area where you want to work after you graduate. Third, start to search for opening pharmacist positions in that area. Take into account driving distance and long-term stability of the company. Fourth, submit a fake job application with your dummy resume. Finally, wait and see how many interview invites you will receive.

I am a P1 student, Yup...I did a similar thing and I did get 0 answers, I sent the stuff everywhere I could think of. In one of those updates I did, I even put that I was going to work for 25/hr without benefit and that I was desperate for money. Did not get any replies at all!

Also, I have tried to get an internship position ANYWHERE here in southflorida, westpalm, miami, or broward, and NO ONE! wants to help...it is kind of like they see you like a bug lol, or someone who is going to take their jobs away in the future. Sad...

I am really really scared of this...I was thinking of studying hard for the MCAT and jump to medschool (If I get accepted) before I maxed out my loans...what do you think?... I read in the medicine forums, that doctors are worrying a lot because of the DN's,NP's, PA's, etc etc...everybody expanding scope of practice... Optometrist, also suffering, Dentist, not enough root canals...etcc

:(

I am a P1 student, Yup...I did a similar thing and I did get 0 answers, I sent the stuff everywhere I could think of. In one of those updates I did, I even put that I was going to work for 25/hr without benefit and that I was desperate for money. Did not get any replies at all!

I am really really scared of this...I was thinking of studying hard for the MCAT and jump to medschool (If I get accepted) before I maxed out my loans...what do you think?... I read in the medicine forums, that doctors are worrying a lot because of the DN's,NP's, PA's, etc etc...everybody expanding scope of practice... Optometrist, also suffering, Dentist, not enough root canals...etcc

:(

I hear truck driving school is a low cost institution with a huge payoff in terms of salary. I'm serious!

If my wife would allow me - I would be a truck driver without hesitation. Just imagine, I could wear all the Prada sweatsuits I want while driving cross country all day.

I hear truck driving school is a low cost institution with a huge payoff in terms of salary. I'm serious!

..says the optimistic pre-pharm who is not going to start pharmacy school until 2013. Lets see how optimistic you are 4 years from now with 250,000$ in student loans. If you are going to joke around, please post in the pre pharm forum.

..says the optimistic pre-pharm who is not going to start pharmacy school until 2013. Lets see how optimistic you are 4 years from now with 250,000$ in student loans. If you are going to joke around, please post in the pre pharm forum.

Nah, I like it here better. How about you mind your own business and let me enjoy myself and my successes. The fact that you make my status such a concern of yours reminds me of one of those gossipy types that never shuts up in a sewing circle. If you want to pull rank on someone, why don't you go and rat someone out or something. Unless you are a mod, do not tell me where I can and can not post.

Besides, I am being dead serious. The truck driving industry is a very good investment.

Nah, I like it here better. How about you mind your own business and let me enjoy myself and my successes. The fact that you make my status such a concern of yours reminds me of one of those gossipy types that never shuts up in a sewing circle. If you want to pull rank on someone, why don't you go and rat someone out or something.

Besides, I am being dead serious. The truck driving industry is a very good investment.

Truck driving does pay well, but the lifestyle sucks. Especially long haul. The other thing is that those who like the intellectualism of pharmacy are unlikely to feel fulfilled by jobs like truck driving, though there may be exceptions to that.

Rationalization is a powerful tool to support delusion of grandeur about the job market ;-/

Nah, I like it here better. How about you mind your own business and let me enjoy myself and my successes. The fact that you make my status such a concern of yours reminds me of one of those gossipy types that never shuts up in a sewing circle. If you want to pull rank on someone, why don't you go and rat someone out or something.

I know it is, plenty of truck drivers here in south florida, but it is a tough job, I know some of them. Being away from home for so long, not good, but that is k I can live with that. What is worst is driving aaaaalll the time. Plus, is not only the driving, they tell me, u get there, and have to way for the port to open, wait for other to unload, and a whole bunch of stressful stuff. Plus, you are dealing most of the time with VERY uneducated people...far worst that the mean retail costumer.

I know it is, plenty of truck drivers here in south florida, but it is a tough job, I know some of them. Being away from home for so long, not good, but that is k I can live with that. What is worst is driving aaaaalll the time. Plus, is not only the driving, they tell me, u get there, and have to way for the port to open, wait for other to unload, and a whole bunch of stressful stuff. Plus, you are dealing most of the time with VERY uneducated people...far worst that the mean retail costumer.

True - the uneducated thing might be a bit of a stress.. But, I would like the long haul aspect of it. Think of all the quiet time you would have to just - think... I would spend a lot of that time listining to audio books, contemplating the mysteries of the universe, or just relaxing.

My grandfather owned his own truck driving business. He had a fleet of about 10 long hauls that would drive all over the USA during the 80s. I was lucky that he took me on a haul one time as a child. It was one of the highlights of my childhood.

Members don't see this ad :)
The admission standards have dropped so much. Just take a look in the pre-pharm forum. I even received a brochure from a for-profit pharmacy school encouraging pharmacy techs to enroll in their pre-pharm program and they will be guarantee admissions to its pharmacy school. Seriously?

The admission standards have dropped so much. Just take a look in the pre-pharm forum. I even received a brochure from a for-profit pharmacy school encouraging pharmacy techs to enroll in their pre-pharm program and they will be guarantee admissions to its pharmacy school. Seriously?

Yea - sounds like you are better than everyone else. Don't worry... Since you are so much better than everyone else you will find a job with no problem. By your statement - you are competing with sub par individuals.

I mean come on - some of these students don't even know the difference between when they are pharm or pre pharm students. You have nothing to worry about.

Yes this is so true. I have seen this trend that schools choose those candidates with bachelors with good grades, like 60% of the class, and then choose those from comunity college. Lol I was kind of mad one day speaking to this guys from the college that I had to take calculus and physics without a graphing calculator, and learn all the hell of it, while they were seriously? we had open book exam with graphing calculator! lol... whatever life is unfair and I am getting used to it.

So people just go to class to stay all day long on facebook...sometimes I feel out of place.

If my wife would allow me - I would be a truck driver without hesitation. Just imagine, I could wear all the Prada sweatsuits I want while driving cross country all day.

I recently met an aerospace engineer who realized his career largely ended with the closing of the space shuttle program, and he did indeed go this route. The hours are crazy and the pay irregular, but he loves it. He also did not know until the first day of class that a semi has 18 gears and two clutches.

What school was it? You can PM me if you don't want to post it here.

Yeah, good luck passing boards 6 or 7 years from now. That school will be what Drake was in the 1970s.

1) Old farts that won't retire
2) people that work a million jobs

How much more greedy can you get? If you are 60 yo...you have been making six figures for 30+ years...I think it's time to go. :laugh: how much money do you need? You will die before you can spend it all.

And the people that work 60+ hours a week? I don't know about you but I rather work 30 hrs a week and make 100K vs 80 hrs and make 200K. Its hard to spend money and have a life when you work so much...and the REASON you want so much money is to spend it and show off...well if you work 80 hrs a week you won't have much time for that.

First off if you think pharmacists made 6 figures a year for the last 30 years you must be counting the zeros after the decimal point or you are completely clueless of the profession and what has occurred with it over the years.I betting on the latter. When I got out of college, dating myself here, I started at 7.50 per after receiving my license. Its only in the last 10 years or so that salaries went up due to a shortage of pharmacists. Hospitals in my area as well as chains(some anyway) are lowering salaries , benefits and tech help. Don't want to the job with less, as they want more, there are all those desperate Rho Chi scholars waiting for the job. So NO, we didnt make 6 figures for 30 years and they way things are going you won't either. Invest well now my friend.

I was offered a job with CVS right out of school. They offered me my own store, full time, and $57/hr. Before that, I had never stepped foot into a CVS.

However... we are super high volume. It's basically like walking into hell every day.

Wow I am sorry man.

I don't know he equated working full-time to a living hell so he may fit in.

Working full time is a living hell.

What's a good life? Kim Kardashian's or Paris Hilton's. People only hate them cuz they are insanely jealous. Their life is the defination of a GREAT life.

So NO, we didnt make 6 figures for 30 years and they way things are going you won't either. Invest well now my friend.

God, why didn't I married well instead of going to college? I think I made a huge mistake here. :rolleyes:

Wow I am sorry man.

What's a good life? Kim Kardashian's or Paris Hilton's. People only hate them cuz they are insanely jealous. Their life is the defination of a GREAT life.

God, why didn't I married well instead of going to college? I think I made a huge mistake here. :rolleyes:

Maybe nobody asked???????? Keep you chin up someone or thing will come along.

People hate them because they were born into the money. Hell, if I become rich, my kids aren't getting chit other than money for college/med school.

I have 3 trucker friends, 2 long haul and 1 delivery, and they are the furtherest thing from being financially well off.

Wow I am sorry man.

SHC, did you look into managed care?

no i dont only` want to work at hospital I will do anything

Maybe nobody asked???????? Keep you chin up someone or thing will come along.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

SHC, did you look into managed care?

I will apply for jobs there....I might apply for residencies there too...but I really STRONGLY PREFER NOT doing a residency if possible. lol

People hate them because they were born into the money. Hell, if I become rich, my kids aren't getting chit other than money for college/med school.

Parents should be required to pay for their children's college no matter what. Undergrad should be a requirement.

Parents should be required to pay for their children's college no matter what. Undergrad should be a requirement.
And if they can't? All my fam has payed is loan interest on a few unsubsidized loans. I am working my butt off to pay for food and books and such, and borrowing tuition money.

And if they can't? All my fam has payed is loan interest on a few unsubsidized loans. I am working my butt off to pay for food and books and such, and borrowing tuition money.

Are you going a public university?

I went to an in-state university for undergrad. Even that there was no way my parents could afford my tuitions. Thanks to grands and subsidized student loans and work-study jobs, BrightLight is here to advance the profession.

Yes I am. I screwed myself out of scholarships by going to an out-of-state public university for 2 years, so I pay quite a bit in tuition for my in-state school. Not an extraordinate amount, my dad just really doesn't have expendable money (I am in a one parent family).

Getting back the topic, is the situation really that hopeless? And will it only get worse in the next few years (I graduate in 2015 :/ )

What if by the time I graduate, I will have been a retail chain intern for 5 years and hospital intern for 3 years, assuming I don't get fired or quit. Can I sleep somewhat easily?

I have a movie for you:

http://www.magpictures.com/thequeenofversailles/

Wow this person has been trolling for 6000 posts on here and still gets replies. Hilarious.

Can't see it. Hospital blocked the site. :(

Trolling b/c I named a responsbility of parents? :laugh: Your parents must be deadbeats.

Nah all your posts are pretty foolish and naive is all. At least in this thread. :thumbup:

As for this thread, pharmacy jobs are not everywhere anymore as we know. My advice is to get a list of every hospital or company in your desired area of work and look directly on that place's website. Indeed is a useless tool for finding them as are all the job aggregator sites.

My advice to students looking at hospital is to avoid the large university and faith based hospitals and to try and do your rotations at smaller hospitals off the beaten path, even if you have to commute. Networking with those preceptors is far more likely to land you a job then is networking with the staff at the big organizations as they are much more picky when selecting candidates and likely will ask that you complete a residency first, which still then doesn't guarantee you a full time job.

Last edited:

Bahahaha! My parents couldn't help with college tuition because they have three other mouths to feed behind me. And guess what? My father is self-employed and while he was busy making sure we all had a place to live, I was studying my ***** off and working forty hours a week at a REAL pharmacy to pay for school...and I'm a full-time student. So don't talk to me about financial requirements from parents. Not trying to be rude, just want you to realize that not every student has the luxury of relying on mommy and daddy to pay for their education.

I just got back from a trip around independents in rural Kansas and most pharmacies in small towns only have one pharmacist (if any) and these people are old and BEGGING for part-time/full-time help or even for someone to buy their store eventually when they retire. So, I guess there're opportunities in the middle of nowhere. Haha

I just got back from a trip around independents in rural Kansas and most pharmacies in small towns only have one pharmacist (if any) and these people are old and BEGGING for part-time/full-time help or even for someone to buy their store eventually when they retire. So, I guess there're opportunities in the middle of nowhere. Haha

Rural is where it's at ;)

Nah all your posts are pretty foolish and naive is all. At least in this thread. :thumbup:

As for this thread, pharmacy jobs are not everywhere anymore as we know. My advice is to get a list of every hospital or company in your desired area of work and look directly on that place's website. Indeed is a useless tool for finding them as are all the job aggregator sites.

My advice to students looking at hospital is to avoid the large university and faith based hospitals and to try and do your rotations at smaller hospitals off the beaten path, even if you have to commute. Networking with those preceptors is far more likely to land you a job then is networking with the staff at the big organizations as they are much more picky when selecting candidates and likely will ask that you complete a residency first, which still then doesn't guarantee you a full time job.

This is good advice (though I did find my job on Indeed, so don't discount it completely). Also I'm not saying everyone has to move, but being willing to move for a job will increase the chances that you will find a job or that you will find the job that appeals to you.

Rural is where it's at ;)

No kidding. They are offering to pay as much as it takes just so they can get pharmacists out there! Too bad it's mostly families. For a single gal like me, that would definitely NOT be the ideal situation. Haha

Our Golden State still has plenty of pharmacist jobs...like in Oxnard, Yolo, Redding, Vacaville (Vodkaville?), Vallejos, to name a few. Yes, those are cities that actually exist!

I m sorry but I dont know what you are talking about? Do you mean NEW MEXICO?

Completely agree. Of course it's hard to find a young professional 20-something to want to go to rural Kansas.

But as we've said before, the jobs are in the rural areas. It's just they can't fill the positions.

One thing that I always thought would work to get new grads out into the rural, rural sticks is just to make the job 14 on--14 off. That would allow them to rent an apartment for ~500/month in the rural area and then have a residence in a big city, even if its 6 hours away.

For example: I tried to pick a Kansas city in the middle of nowhere, Ulysses, KS. Yeah, Google Map that place. It's still only 5 hours from Denver. So you work 14 days on in Ulysses and then drive to Denver for you two weeks of normalcy. Thoughts?

One thing that I always thought would work to get new grads out into the rural, rural sticks is just to make the job 14 on--14 off. That would allow them to rent an apartment for ~500/month in the rural area and then have a residence in a big city, even if its 6 hours away.

For example: I tried to pick a Kansas city in the middle of nowhere, Ulysses, KS. Yeah, Google Map that place. It's still only 5 hours from Denver. So you work 14 days on in Ulysses and then drive to Denver for you two weeks of normalcy. Thoughts?

I would never sign myself up for 14 days on and 14 days off. I probably have a lower work threshold than most other people, but that sounds miserable. There is a shortage of pharmacists in rural Texas and they have made some full timers near the big city go over there for a week or so at a time. They pay for their hotel, flight, food, rental car, etc. They pretty much have to work like crazy while they're there for the week. I've heard horror stories. The stores there are super busy and not adequately staffed which means you are super stressed out. Then you don't even get to go home, you get to "relax" at some dirty 3 star hotel corporate pays for. I would only consider going if they paid time and a half, which at some point they were actually doing.

14 on/14 off would cause some real problems if the place pays by the hour. 7 on/7 off would work better.

As for Ulysses, Kansas, I just Googled it (never heard of the place) and if you were to practice there, you would probably need to speak Spanish because the town is 50% Hispanic.

About 5 years ago, one of my colleagues got an e-mail advertising a hospital job in IIRC Dodge City; it paid $85 an hour :wow: BUT they required (not requested, REQUIRED) fluency in English, Spanish, and Vietnamese.

14 on/14 off would cause some real problems if the place pays by the hour. 7 on/7 off would work better.

As for Ulysses, Kansas, I just Googled it (never heard of the place) and if you were to practice there, you would probably need to speak Spanish because the town is 50% Hispanic.

About 5 years ago, one of my colleagues got an e-mail advertising a hospital job in IIRC Dodge City; it paid $85 an hour :wow: BUT they required (not requested, REQUIRED) fluency in English, Spanish, and Vietnamese.

Why would it cause problems. You would be salaried so its not they would run afoul of labor laws.

No way you'd ever get a trilingual young professional to live in middle of nowhere Kansas. Not even for $85 an hour.

I still think it'd make sense. And I think 14 on and 14 off would be doable for a 20 something.

Ulysses has an airport. Just get your pilot's license and a plane. Problem solved.

Yes this is so true. I have seen this trend that schools choose those candidates with bachelors with good grades, like 60% of the class, and then choose those from comunity college. Lol I was kind of mad one day speaking to this guys from the college that I had to take calculus and physics without a graphing calculator, and learn all the hell of it, while they were seriously? we had open book exam with graphing calculator! lol... whatever life is unfair and I am getting used to it.

So people just go to class to stay all day long on facebook...sometimes I feel out of place.

I feel out of place that your English is this bad. Trust me bro I know its the internet but if I can't even make sense of what you're typing that is a problem.