omg my mcat is in a week

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grindtillgrave

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi you guys, I feel pretty depressed right about now. My MCAT is in 1 week. took FL1 AAMC and got a 492 (!!). I'm pretty much freaking out. I think it was the nerves. Alot of the questions I guessed on because I was running out of time. I've been studying now 2 months. took FL monday (NS) got a 495. I did get a 500 ONCE. At this point my goal is anything over 502. Have any of you faced this adversity? I already submitted everything else. This is the last thing pending. I'm out of ideas and don't know what to do. HELP PLEASEE!!

Members don't see this ad.

You are UiM, correct? Are you open to DO? Depending on the rest of your application, you might be able to snag a spot at a DO school or a HBC school with a score in the high 490's if you think you can get it. If you want MD, you should probably postpone your MCAT.

First off, relax!!

If you have not scored about a 500 on your practice tests , especially the AAMC FL's, it's best you postpone your test, or at the very least void this upcoming one.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You are UiM, correct? Are you open to DO? Depending on the rest of your application, you might be able to snag a spot at a DO school or a HBC school with a score in the high 490's if you think you can get it. If you want MD, you should probably postpone your MCAT.

Yes URM. this is like my 4th FL i've taken. I was really hoping for MD. Thanks for responding. I think the high 490's is doable, but I don't know if it will be by next week sort of thing. My scores seem to be all over the place. I think I will keep taking exams to get a good gage

Yes URM. this is like my 4th FL i've taken. I was really hoping for MD. Thanks for responding. I think the high 490's is doable, but I don't know if it will be by next week sort of thing. My scores seem to be all over the place. I think I will keep taking exams to get a good gage
if I were to take the August 11th or 19th mcat, do you think that would be too late in the cycle?

First off, relax!!

If you have not scored about a 500 on your practice tests , especially the AAMC FL's, it's best you postpone your test, or at the very least void this upcoming one.
would the august 11th, 19th MCAT be too late for this cycle?

How many schools have you applied to?

Being a little on the late side is a much better option than trying to apply with a ~492. Postpone.

Is sitting out this cycle an option? I do not recommend taking the MCAT under these stressful conditions.

Reactions: 1 users
It would be wise to be honest with yourself and save yourself the money and stress of a wasted application cycle because you were under prepared for this test.

Take a as many full lengths from here till testing day. Build that endurance. I took 4 within a week before the real deal. Highest practice was a 507 and scored a 510+ on real. If you still don't feel confident, postpone.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Take a as many full lengths from here till testing day. Build that endurance. I took 4 within a week before the real deal. Highest practice was a 507 and scored a 510+ on real. If you still don't feel confident, postpone.

Not everyone has the endurance to pull off 4 practice tests in one week, let alone the week before the exam, so I don't think it's a great idea to suggest it. 2 should be sufficient in the last week. (also scored 510+)

Members don't see this ad :)
Not everyone has the endurance to pull off 4 practice tests in one week, let alone the week before the exam, so I don't think it's a great idea to suggest it. 2 should be sufficient in the last week. (also scored 510+)

True. I took a risk and it (thank goodness) turned out well. I would not advise others to do what I did unless it is your last resort.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Yeah man just go over your exams figure out why you're missing questions and study those areas or work on problem solving strategies and wait to take the MCAT. Its not worth having a bad score on your record.

Why did you take it if your practice score wasn't good? Should have taken more time to study or found better ways to study.

Is sitting out this cycle an option? I do not recommend taking the MCAT under these stressful conditions.
I concur, this may be best. I know it would suck but make sure to give yourself enough time so that you're confident! The MCAT seems to be a test of mental fortitude as well as sciences.

Why did you take it if your practice score wasn't good? Should have taken more time to study or found better ways to study.

He hasn't taken it yet. OP don't take CARS advice from this guy.

Sub 500 is an indicator of major content gap. You won't solve that with 40 hours of practice exams. Just because your UiM doesn't give you an excuse to not do better than average. Postpone or embrace being a reapplicant.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I concur, this may be best. I know it would suck but make sure to give yourself enough time so that you're confident! The MCAT seems to be a test of mental fortitude as well as sciences.

lol I just woke up. OP post pone the MCAT.

With that score OP needs to worry about more than just CARS.

Hi you guys, I feel pretty depressed right about now. My MCAT is in 1 week. took FL1 AAMC and got a 492 (!!). I'm pretty much freaking out. I think it was the nerves. Alot of the questions I guessed on because I was running out of time. I've been studying now 2 months. took FL monday (NS) got a 495. I did get a 500 ONCE. At this point my goal is anything over 502. Have any of you faced this adversity? I already submitted everything else. This is the last thing pending. I'm out of ideas and don't know what to do. HELP PLEASEE!!
The MCAT is a career-deciding high stakes exam. Do NOT take it until you are 100% ready for it. Your post screams that you're not ready. A score ~ 500 will rule out MD, but DO is still possible.

Since it appears that you have test taking anxiety issues, get that fixed.

Med school aren't going anywhere. Apply when you have the best possible app.

Thank you to everyone who responded. I'm going to take your advice, postpone my mcat. I enrolled in the online Kaplan course today. really wanted to apply this cycle but If Im not ready by the 19th, i'm going to wait till the next cycle. I've calmed down alot since posting this. (lol) I always will have options.

Reactions: 5 users
Praise the Lord!:clap: You'll see -- you'll feel much better next year and will think to yourself "I'm so glad I postponed."

Wow, this is a good learning lesson as to why you should apply to only 1 school (to get verified) until you have your MCAT score. But it is what it is, nothing you can do about it now. Step back, relax, postpone your MCAT, and do this next year when you are better prepared to do things right and on time. Best of luck to you.