OMM as a muslim female

Started by Hope143
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hope143

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
I hope everyone reading this is doing good.
I am a Muslim female looking to apply to DO schools. I was wondering if there are DO schools that are generally lenient towards muslim females (as in allowing us to wear scrubs or pants or more modest clothes or allowing us to pair with females) ? sorry if my question is offensive ! I just really want to go to DO school and fulfill my dream of becoming a doctor ! thanks for all your help! I am from Virginia but location is not important! I also come from a poor family yet I wasn't able to get a fee waiver from aacomas so there is only a limited number of schools I can apply to !
 
The best thing that you can do is call each school you are interested in and ask them directly. You may not get correct information from this forum and since you are tight on money, you will want to focus your application to a school that you will feel comfortable at.
Thank you so much
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know ACOM has written a new curriculum that specifically allows accommodations for Muslim females. This was done after the Muslim Student's Association appealed to the curriculum committee for changes.
 
The process usually includes a meeting or letter from your Imam indicating what clothing, exams, by whom, etc., is acceptable. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of schools can and have made accomodations. I agree with contacting schools to explore what they can offer. You will be at somewhat a disadvantage as the number of students who examine you and who you examine will be limited. Certainly doable. We have had several Muslim ladies who received accomodation. Good luck and best wishes!
 
The process usually includes a meeting or letter from your Imam indicating what clothing, exams, by whom, etc., is acceptable. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of schools can and have made accomodations. I agree with contacting schools to explore what they can offer. You will be at somewhat a disadvantage as the number of students who examine you and who you examine will be limited. Certainly doable. We have had several Muslim ladies who received accomodation. Good luck and best wishes!
My wise colleague beat me to it. OP, my school is exactly like Angus', except on the other side of the Missouri River.
 
The process usually includes a meeting or letter from your Imam indicating what clothing, exams, by whom, etc., is acceptable. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of schools can and have made accomodations. I agree with contacting schools to explore what they can offer. You will be at somewhat a disadvantage as the number of students who examine you and who you examine will be limited. Certainly doable. We have had several Muslim ladies who received accomodation. Good luck and best wishes!
Sounds good
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad