OMM as a muslim female

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hope143

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I hope everyone reading this is doing good.
I am a Muslim female looking to apply to DO schools. I was wondering if there are DO schools that are generally lenient towards muslim females (as in allowing us to wear scrubs or pants or more modest clothes or allowing us to pair with females) ? sorry if my question is offensive ! I just really want to go to DO school and fulfill my dream of becoming a doctor ! thanks for all your help! I am from Virginia but location is not important! I also come from a poor family yet I wasn't able to get a fee waiver from aacomas so there is only a limited number of schools I can apply to !

Members don't see this ad.

The best thing that you can do is call each school you are interested in and ask them directly. You may not get correct information from this forum and since you are tight on money, you will want to focus your application to a school that you will feel comfortable at.

Reactions: 1 users
The best thing that you can do is call each school you are interested in and ask them directly. You may not get correct information from this forum and since you are tight on money, you will want to focus your application to a school that you will feel comfortable at.
Thank you so much

Members don't see this ad :)
I know ACOM has written a new curriculum that specifically allows accommodations for Muslim females. This was done after the Muslim Student's Association appealed to the curriculum committee for changes.

Reactions: 1 user
I know ACOM has written a new curriculum that specifically allows accommodations for Muslim females. This was done after the Muslim Student's Association appealed to the curriculum committee for changes.
I had no idea!! Thanks so much! Will add to my list!

The process usually includes a meeting or letter from your Imam indicating what clothing, exams, by whom, etc., is acceptable. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of schools can and have made accomodations. I agree with contacting schools to explore what they can offer. You will be at somewhat a disadvantage as the number of students who examine you and who you examine will be limited. Certainly doable. We have had several Muslim ladies who received accomodation. Good luck and best wishes!

Reactions: 3 users
The process usually includes a meeting or letter from your Imam indicating what clothing, exams, by whom, etc., is acceptable. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of schools can and have made accomodations. I agree with contacting schools to explore what they can offer. You will be at somewhat a disadvantage as the number of students who examine you and who you examine will be limited. Certainly doable. We have had several Muslim ladies who received accomodation. Good luck and best wishes!
My wise colleague beat me to it. OP, my school is exactly like Angus', except on the other side of the Missouri River.

Reactions: 2 users
Sounds good

I know KYCOM is very accommodating as well!