OMM for MDs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

suckstobeme

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys-
I just graduated from an MD program and was curious about OMM- mostly for the treatment of low back pain and headaches. Does it work? Is it for real or voodoo? Are there any good books/review articles you could recommend to learn/understand OMM?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

suckstobeme said:
Hey guys-
I just graduated from an MD program and was curious about OMM- mostly for the treatment of low back pain and headaches. Does it work? Is it for real or voodoo? Are there any good books/review articles you could recommend to learn/understand OMM?

Thanks.

Oh yeah, that's a great idea to come to someone's forum and insult them by calling their program voodoo. :rolleyes:

suckstobeme said:
Hey guys-

Thanks.
Looking at your post Hx, you don;t look trollish, but understand that we get hit with questions like this alot that tend to be backhanded and open up a flame war.

I just did a quick search for OMM and LBP and found this: www.do-online.osteotech.org/ pdf/cap_physicians_finalreport0304.pdf

I know there's a more current one, and if i can find it i'll post it. You might also enjoy this:
http://www.jaoa.org/cgi/content/full/105/suppl_4/S29

As for MD's learning OMM, there's a bunch of threads on this if you do a quick search.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I remember correctly, I read on here that Harvard was starting a weekend CME session to introduce OMM to MDs...

suckstobeme said:
Hey guys-

Thanks.

I'll allow you to answer your own question by answering this one:

Is physical therapy voodoo?

OSUdoc08 said:
Is physical therapy voodoo?

Some of the stuff I've had to do makes it seem like voodoo. :p

Taurus said:
Oh yeah, that's a great idea to come to someone's forum and insult them by calling their program voodoo. :rolleyes:

Some of you guys are waaay too sensitive and reactionary. Calm down and take these things in stride.

And...even if it is a backhanded comment, it's still a chance to be informative and perhaps change an opinion.

All you'll do is reinforce the negative views by blindly lashing out in a reactionary manner.

suckstobeme said:
Hey guys-

Thanks.
For back/neck pain, headaches, (basically all somatic stuff)....OMM can be a VERY useful tool. The "voodoo" tag is usually applied by some people to the relatively obscure/odd (and not totally understood) parts of OMM that deal w/ a lot of visceral stuff. As far as I'm aware, the CME courses that you can take as an MD just pertain to the somatic stuff. You can look into the programs that are offered at Harvard and Michigan State.

Here is a link to a compilation of some of the research available on OMM.
Post # 18 deals with your exact question and contains the studies done on teaching MD's OMM. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=99957

Hey guys-
No, it wasn't a backhanded comment. Its just the way some of the residents I worked with always talked. Like "Do I have to take a temperature from the axilla?" "No, that's just voodoo, but do it anyway." Eh. That's not a good explanation. But anyway, I have good friends that are DOs and I wouldn't just come put DOs down or anything. In fact, the people around me that make fun of manipulations most are DOs, which is why I was trying to solicit a general DO opinion on how useful it is. I was just wondering if I could get something from it.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. Later.

The New England Journal of Medicine in November of 1999 published a famous study of OMM on lower back pain compared to pharmacological treatment. They found that there was no difference in recovery time or quality. The only advantage to OMM was less adverse drug reactions (because they weren't taking any drugs). The disadvantage to OMM was that it required more physician time. So it is better for the patients (less ADRs) but worse for the physicians (more time with each patient=less patients per day=less pay).