OMM: manual dexterity testing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IndenturedDent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi fellow snders,

for any of those that are either currently in DO school or have already completed the DO degree - how hard was the manual dexterity component of your OMM courses? have any students failed out because they did not have good enough manual dexterity to get through the OMM course? is a OMM manual dexterity related component on any of the board exams / certification exams?

Members don't see this ad.

no

seek out help ASAP

No. Being interested in OMM is far more important than manual dexterity.

Members don't see this ad :)
Strange question. Why are you worried about dexterity? Do you have a documented physical disability?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

no physical disabilities. i just wanted to learn if students ever struggled in OMM courses due to hand skills. based on the answers so far it seems like i dont have anything to worry about (i was probably just over thinking it).

Last edited:
Hand eye coordination? Unless you have some real physical disability you shouldn't have a problem with OMM.

You'll be fine. It takes a while to get used to but once you're looking/feeling for the right things... it's really not all that hard.

You'll be fine. It takes a while to get used to but once you're looking/feeling for the right things... it's really not all that hard.

Or just fake it like every med student quickly learns to do. The professor seems none the wiser.

Spinal lesion? Sure, I feel it. Not.

Or just fake it like every med student quickly learns to do. The professor seems none the wiser.

:thumbup:

Agreed, you're better off working on your acting skills than your dexterity this summer.

Nah, they know you are faking it. They remember how it took them going through an OMM residency to be able to really tell what's going on. Doesn't mean they aren't going to make you at least try.

You mean like the manual dexterity skills you need to get through dental school? Not even close.

Nah, they know you are faking it. They remember how it took them going through an OMM residency to be able to really tell what's going on. Doesn't mean they aren't going to make you at least try.

I'm half convinced my professor is faking a good amount too. There's no real way to know though.

Although my bull**** meter went off the charts during cranial. Professor definitely had to fake that. I mean, c'mon...

so even if you were bad with your hands, i assume it wouldn't hold you back the way it would if lets say you were in dental school. anyone here go to dental school and then move onto DO school to share their thoughts on how much easier OMM is in terms of hands skils? would be interesting to see if anyone went into a surgical residency here but had to leave it b/c of their manual dexterity (seems doubtful based on people's responses above).

OMM during exams is more about acting, pretending to be confident with your findings. In the real world, the patients' problems are much more obvious and you will get a good solid diagnosis. But finding problems in healthy med students is not a strong point of OMM, because the problems are not really there and you basically are forced to make it up.