OMM Training Qs

Started by Qi Whiz
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Qi Whiz

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm interested in knowing about when/where/how OMM training is obtained. While I see that all the DO schools include OPP in the curriculum, I've also seen references to Fellowships and even a residency (MSU), and I've found references to physiatry, rehabilitative medicine, and sports medicine. So can one not hold oneself out as practicing OMM/OMT after only completing a DO and a one-year rotating internship? Can someone help clarify these issues?
 
Basically, there are two kinds of residencies in OMM: A two year program that prepares one to be a specialist in manipulative medicine, and a one-year program for DO's who have already completed a residency in some other specialty and want added OMM skills. These can be viewed at:
http://opportunities.aoa-net.org/residencies/omt/omt.htm
http://opportunities.aoa-net.org/residencies/omm+1/omm+1.htm

There are also 1-year predoctoral fellowships available in OMM (I'm completing a predoctoral research fellowship in OMM at TCOM now).

MD's and DO's can also learm OMM on a continuing medical education basis, but this can get expensive:
http://www.gst.net/~sfimms/

All DO's (and MD's) are qualified to practice OMM within their level of comfort and expertise just as other doctors can prescribe psychiatric drugs without doing a residency in psychiatry, or do certain surgical procedures without completing a residency in surgery. The problem is with reimbursement. Having added training (such as a residency or fellowship) allows doctors to better document their need to be reimbursed for what they do from third party payors.