Omm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rescuerdave

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this on the pre osteopathic, but this is perhaps a more appropriate forum. Is the year of OMM a paid year or is it similar to that medical school. Also is this year more laid back or are you just as busy. OMM is a wonderful practice and I look froward to participating in it, just wanted to know what to expect

Members don't see this ad.

Do you mind clarifying your post???

We are all osteopaths so we all get trained in OMM.... At least at DMU its the entire 2 year and a cumulative grade, exams, lab, and practicals throughout.

Are you referring to the OMM Fellowship that some schools offer?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The most appropriate therapy of a solitary 3.5cm cyst in the breast is aspiration.

Ya, I am refferring to the OMM fellowship year that some schools provide. Sorry about the miswording.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can only speak specifically of DMUCOMS as I'm not familiar with other school.... I do know that other schools are not as competitive as DMU's and that they are sometimes called Anatomy/OMM Fellowships and the likes.... Just to give you an idea of how the OMM Fellowship at DMU is hard to get into, this year we had 26 applicants for only 3 spots.... other schools I spoke to sometimes don't even have applicants or simply have enough applicants to fill the spots.... We're big on OMM here at DMU, probably the best of the best....

AT DMU, as an OMM fellow you have to work with the OMM Department under Dr. Boesler for a TOTAL of 12 months.... worked into your rotations. They try to schedule your OMM Fellow so that you can be on campus teaching, treating patients, and other administrative work throughout the year, thus varying your experience (Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall).... That means you do your OMM fellowship in four 3 month increments in different seasons. All in all you have to stay for an extra year.... thus you don't graduate with your class. You get your third, fourth, and fifth year tuition payed for with a monthly stipend.

Hope that helps
:cool:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
INdications for Biphysical profile in pregnant individuals:
- Nonreactive NST
- DM
- IUGR
- HTN + proteinuria
- Prolonged Gestation

That helps a ton, Thanks

You're welcome.... I hope other students respond to how their OMM fellowship are ran. Good luck with you :cool:

at KCOM we have 4 OMM fellowship positions and 4 anatomy fellowship positions each year. We had 8 applicants for the 4 OMM spots this year (and probably similar for anatomy), though some years we've only had 4 or 5 applicants. We do an entire year of fellowship straight- in the case of OMM it is between 3rd and fourth year (you go to the 5 year track). They pay for your final year tuition (and dont charge for the fellowship) so you pay 3 years for 5 years of education in all, plus a monthly stipend during fellowship year, money for conferences, heathcare, and tutoring money.

Much of the fellowship is teaching first years in lab, though you spend some time with second years. There is a fellows clinic where you treat students with physician supervision, and you see regular patients with physician supervision as well. There are opportunities for research, for those interested, and they let you have another cadaver if you want one. Its seems pretty laid back (I know some of the fellowships at others schools can be pretty stressful), so you will probably have time to pursue personal educational goals within the department.

All in all, not a bad deal if you're interested in OMM and don't mind showing your body off for demos to first-years. Sounds like DMU gives better benefits. The advantage of our system though is you can escape kirksville to a bigger city for your rotations if you so choose. Also, the department is quite large for such a small school (7-8 faculty, 2-3 residents any given year), and there is a lot of diversity- so you can get a good feel for most of the treatment options out there- as there is at least someone in the department that specializes in each.

hope that helps,
bones

That definitely helps, thanks. It sounds like a great program.

The OMM Fellowship at NYCOM is an extra year of work broken up into three. 3 months during your third year and 4-5 months each of the other two years. You work in the clinic treating patients, you work in the labs teaching first and second year students, and there are other administrative things that probably have to be done. I was just accepted into the fellowship starting next year so I dont' exactly know from first hand experience.
As far as tuition goes, they pay for your 3rd, 4th, and 5th years.

OMMfellow,
I have a question re the fellowship. would one only want to do one if one is considering FP or PM&R or any field? what are some of the pro/cons? do you do it between 3&4 year ( the extra year)? can you do research on the side for other fields? do you get tuition only or a stipend as well? finally, what made you go this route? sorry to ask so many quewstions, feel free to answer one if you have the time. thanx :) susan

Originally posted by Su4n2
OMMfellow,
I have a question re the fellowship. would one only want to do one if one is considering FP or PM&R or any field? what are some of the pro/cons? do you do it between 3&4 year ( the extra year)? can you do research on the side for other fields? do you get tuition only or a stipend as well? finally, what made you go this route? sorry to ask so many quewstions, feel free to answer one if you have the time. thanx :) susan

It is beneficial to do the fellowship no matter what field you decide to go into. I don't have a clue what I want to do, but I do know that I want OMM to be a major part of my work. OMM can be used in any field that you can imagine.
Pros- you get extensive hands on experience in using OMM, you work with great doctors one on one treating patients which is a great learning environment, tuition is paid for, and it looks great on your transcript. At NYCOM they are working on trying to get more research opportunities for the fellows so that will be great. The fellowship is 3 months during my 3rd year and 4-5 months during my 4th and 5th years.

Cons- it is an extra year and you don't graduate with all your friends from your year. I don't know of many more cons, I knew I wanted to do this since the end of my first year of school.

There is no stipend along with the tuition cut.