OMS-II Interested in IM; need advice on summer action of plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blatauthoshunt42

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I completed my first year, and am off for 2 years before second year starts. However, I'm interested in Internal Medicine and I would like to settle down in preferably the NYC area.

I tried to do a preceptorship in IM, but the state ran out of money. All I can think to do is possibly volunteer and give some time to the community, but also, review and get started on Board Prep.

I have two questions.

1. What advice would you give on how to approach Board Prep in the summer before OMS-II?
2. How do you balance studying between COMLEX and USMLE?
3. What else would need to be done for a student from my state to put my foot in the door for a residency in NYC?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I completed my first year at UIWSOM in Texas, and am off for 2 years before second year starts. However, I'm interested in Internal Medicine and I would like to settle down in preferably the NYC area.

I tried to do a preceptorship in IM, but the state ran out of money. All I can think to do is possibly volunteer and give some time to the community, but also, review and get started on Board Prep.

I have two questions.

1. What advice would you give on how to approach Board Prep in the summer before OMS-II?
2. How do you balance studying between COMLEX and USMLE?
3. What else would need to be done for a student from my state to put my foot in the door for a residency in NYC?
Off for two years please tell me how to extend summers like that

In short

ufaps for boards lol it up. Get good letters, and read previous posts on this topic

I did a preceptorship through the state for IM. I really wish I did more research since I'm more stacked clinically now. Do any sort of research you can and study on the side.

Members don't see this ad :)
Two weeks to go until off for summer for only 3 wks.
Plan on trying to get sketchy round in (micro, pharm)
Also plan on getting Board materials together: FA, Pathoma, UW (already have sketchy and BnB)
Need to create a plan to follow from start of year 2...

I'm not sure how to really balance class and boards studying though... OMS3's lmk haha

God this is gonna suck.

Drink beer it’s IM not hard to get. The worst people in my class got IM somewhere. Of course community it suckville USA but

2). Buy boards and beyond. One of the best decisions I made. Watch 30 minutes a day and you’ll be done by Xmas. Not a huge commitment. Then when everything is on fire during dedicated you can easily 2x the videos you need because you’re just reminding yourself instead of primary learning.

Pick a q bank and do 10 questions/ day. Then in January switch over to uworld and keep doing 10/day until your school leaves you alone.

Do whatever spaced repetition you need/want (Zanki, FC, whatever)

Reactions: 1 user