Quantcast

OMS internships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koobpheej

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anybody know where you can find a concise list of OMS internships. or do you have to search each program individually to find them

L

LSR1979

koobpheej said:
anybody know where you can find a concise list of OMS internships. or do you have to search each program individually to find them

The American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial surgeons has a complete list available on their website.

www.aaoms.org

Follow the links and download the PDF.

omfsres

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
that list is very incomplete. I would say the majority of residencies out there will have an intership position available. My advice would be to call the programs you would consider going to and just ask.

txdent2be2007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Each of the OMS programs in Texas offer externships, if you're looking for a hot summer: UT San Antonio, Baylor, UT Houston, UTMB Galveston, Parkland -- it's probably best to apply early, though. In San Antonio all of the spots were filled back in September.

Yah-E

Toof Sniper
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
INTERNSHIPS, not externships!

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Externships are short-term "exposure visits" to a site, where you get introduced to the program and meet the people involved in it. Internships are longer-term (usually a year) programs designed to make you a more attractive applicant to post-doc programs.

Yah-E

Toof Sniper
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OMFS Internships: 1 year residencies offered by OMFS residencies for OMFS applicants who weren't successful in getting matched, you act as an intern (PGY-1). You will get paid as a resident roughly $33K/year. Much better choice than a year of GPR if an OMFS applicant is unsuccessful the first time around. To apply for an OMFS internship, you must already have your DMD degree.

OMFS Externships: anywhere from 1 week to 1 month in length to expose Pre-Doctoral dental students to the scope of practice in OMFS and visit OMFS residencies.

Jediwendell

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Parkland has an internship. It is very good experience and a recommendation from Ed Ellis looks excellent. Jacksonville used to have one. Florida has one too. The Florida one isn't as good as the intern guys get treated like crapola. Mostly just run the clinic and don't get much hands on experience. Jacksonville might be pretty good as their director, Fattahi, is a great guy. Ky used to have one that was really good, as they were treated just like the same year resident. Same experience and respect.

A note about internships vs. gprs. I wish that I would have had some more general dentistry experience when I started my OMS residency. It does come in handy. Also, you probably won't get IV sedation certified by an OMS internship. It depends on where you go and be sure to ask the director prior to accepting a spot. This will really only be important if you are doing the internship because you aren't sure if you want to do OMS in the end. If you just want to get IV certified and take out your own wizzies and do implants a GPR might be better in the end.
W

txdent2be2007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, if as a senior dental student you don't match with an OMS residency, do you have to wait until the next year to apply to an externship? Assuming you were a successful match on your second application to a residency, you'd be 2 years behind, right?

txdent2be2007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
txdent2be2007 said:
So, if as a senior dental student you don't match with an OMS residency, do you have to wait until the next year to apply to an externship? Assuming you were a successful match on your second application to a residency, you'd be 2 years behind, right?

Sorry, I mean INTERNSHIP!

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
aphistis said:
Internships are longer-term (usually a year) programs designed to make you a more attractive applicant to post-doc programs.

Internships are residency positions. The "usually a year" probably comes from the terminology that is applied to medical residencies. First-year residents are labeled "interns".

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ItsGavinC said:
Internships are residency positions. The "usually a year" probably comes from the terminology that is applied to medical residencies. First-year residents are labeled "interns".
Yeah, I guess I didn't make that very clear. My bad. :D

Jediwendell

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
aphistis said:
Yeah, I guess I didn't make that very clear. My bad. :D

Yeah, so I did a search on the AAOMS page and here is the list of places that have them:
1) Drexel
2) Carle Foundation
3) Temple
4) Pitt
5) UMDNJ
6) Parkland
7) Lincoln Medical Center (Bronx)
8) Vandy

I would think that the top three would be Parkland, Pitt and Vandy, in that order. Pitt is an excellent OMS residency, and a recommendation from Ochs would be as good as one from Ellis. good luck

River13

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Jediwendell said:
Yeah, so I did a search on the AAOMS page and here is the list of places that have them:
1) Drexel
2) Carle Foundation
3) Temple
4) Pitt
5) UMDNJ
6) Parkland
7) Lincoln Medical Center (Bronx)
8) Vandy

I would think that the top three would be Parkland, Pitt and Vandy, in that order. Pitt is an excellent OMS residency, and a recommendation from Ochs would be as good as one from Ellis. good luck

We've got three "interns" this year at LSU NO. They are treated virtually the same as first year residents.

Jediwendell

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
River13 said:
We've got three "interns" this year at LSU NO. They are treated virtually the same as first year residents.

Yeah, NO would be a great internship, too. You know Jason Parker?

Yah-E

Toof Sniper
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I met Jason Parker (aka "Parker") when I did my externship there. He's great basketball player, we play b-ball for like 8 hours straight during the departmental annual fishing trip. That's when I first met River13 also. I also met his wife during the annual Chief Resident Appreciation/graduation banquet. Beautiful wife! He's currently a 4th year resident. Great guy, always smiling! There are really a great bunch of residents there at LSUNO. I had a blast learning and hanging out with them!

toofache32

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't really speak for other programs, but the Parkland internship probably has as much, if not more, OR experience as anywhere. The intern here is treated the same as a first year resident, which means if he gets a case on trauma call, he gets to take it to the OR with Dr. Ellis just like all the other residents, regardless of what year you are. Our current intern probably goes to the OR 2-3 times per week to bend plates and drill, etc.

gryffindor

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My hospital has one - Mt. Sinai Hospital in New York City. The OMS interns work out of the Bronx VA at this program. If you need contact info, PM me.

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Are these internships generally very competitive? What kind of dental school performance is typically required to nab one?

2) Does completing an internship burnish your credentials for OMS programs across the nation, or does it only help your chances with the program you interned at?

Jediwendell

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Don't know how competitive all of them are, but I have seen some people that had low to mid 80s on step one get an intern spot.

2) The result you get generally depends on your performance and the recommendations you get. If you do well, you will most likely get in somewhere. If not..........

River13

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Jediwendell said:
Yeah, NO would be a great internship, too. You know Jason Parker?

Yea, good guy...very laid back :)

Bruxomaniac

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't like starting new threads so I figured I would post this questions here.

I think the title "Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon" is too long. Considering the large scope of this practice and the need to safe space, I think a better name would be "Orocraniofacial Surgeon". For those of you who know a lot more than I do, what do you think of this title and how hard would it be to change it.