Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

OMS Programs

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by DoctorSaab, Apr 22, 2004.

1. DoctorSaab

DoctorSaab Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Do all/most dental schools have an OMS program?

Do you guys know if SIU or Buffalo have decent ones? SIU website is horrible. I really didn't learn much from their website. They arent very helpful when I call them either. I requested a brochure a couple times, and each time they said they are mailing it. I havent received one yet.

So would any of you guys know?

Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. UBTom

UBTom Class '04 official geezer
    10+ Year Member

Yes, Buffalo offers a 6-year OMS-MD postgrad program and it has good reputation. It takes 2 residents per year.

http://www.sdm.buffalo.edu/programs/postgrad/certoms.html

It's waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy too early for you to be worrying about OMFS programs. Finish your first two years of dental school with a good GPA and make sure you get 90+ on your NBDE Part I, then start worrying about matching into an OMFS program.

Good luck.

4. Dr.SpongeBobDDS

Dr.SpongeBobDDS Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

ironically, choosing a dental school based on the presence of a post-doc prorgram you are interested in may guarantee that you get very little exposure to that specialty during your pre-doc years. FX if you wanted endo and went to a school with an endo residency, you'd probably never get to touch anything further back than a canine cause the school would need all the cases for the residents. Just a thought.

5. ecdoesit

ecdoesit DDS/MS
    7+ Year Member

I understand you point, Dr. SpongeBobDDS, but we will still expose to endo, probably with a less degree.
    But wont you be able to network with endo professors easier?
    They could probably guide you a certain direction, if you show ur interest.
    Since most residency are decided by the faculty in their department, could that help your chance of getting in?

6. UBTom

UBTom Class '04 official geezer
    10+ Year Member

Depends on the school I guess... Even though my school has a PG Endo program, we seniors still get some real doozies.

Last week I just completed one difficult case... #31 with 4 canals. The distal two canals are in a 2:1 configuration, and all four roots have a severe hook at the apices. I could have referred it to PG Endo but they got a 3-month backlog, so I said the hell with it and did it myself.

Due to the complex canal anatomy, I couldn't use rotary and had to hand-instrument it. Conventionally pre-curving the files didn't work at all but made things worse-- I was getting blockages. It was a b*tch to maintain patency until I came across a thread at DentalTown on difficult endos in which one of the posters suggested putting a 45-degree kink at the tip of a new fresh-out-of-the-package small-diameter file. Worked like a charm!

Three 3-hour visits to instrument the canals, 1 visit to obturate. The patient walked away happy, and I finally fulfilled my endo requirements to graduate. Sweet. :D

You are guaranteed to do molar endo if you attend my school. There are times when I was fumbling around for 2 hours trying to find the (censored) MB2 canal in a max first molar that I wished we didn't have to do molar endos. :laugh: