OMS Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorSaab

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do all/most dental schools have an OMS program?

Do you guys know if SIU or Buffalo have decent ones? SIU website is horrible. I really didn't learn much from their website. They arent very helpful when I call them either. I requested a brochure a couple times, and each time they said they are mailing it. I havent received one yet.

So would any of you guys know?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, Buffalo offers a 6-year OMS-MD postgrad program and it has good reputation. It takes 2 residents per year.

http://www.sdm.buffalo.edu/programs/postgrad/certoms.html

It's waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy too early for you to be worrying about OMFS programs. Finish your first two years of dental school with a good GPA and make sure you get 90+ on your NBDE Part I, then start worrying about matching into an OMFS program.

Good luck.

ironically, choosing a dental school based on the presence of a post-doc prorgram you are interested in may guarantee that you get very little exposure to that specialty during your pre-doc years. FX if you wanted endo and went to a school with an endo residency, you'd probably never get to touch anything further back than a canine cause the school would need all the cases for the residents. Just a thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand you point, Dr. SpongeBobDDS, but we will still expose to endo, probably with a less degree.
But wont you be able to network with endo professors easier?
They could probably guide you a certain direction, if you show ur interest.
Since most residency are decided by the faculty in their department, could that help your chance of getting in?

Dr.SpongeBobDDS said:
ironically, choosing a dental school based on the presence of a post-doc prorgram you are interested in may guarantee that you get very little exposure to that specialty during your pre-doc years. FX if you wanted endo and went to a school with an endo residency, you'd probably never get to touch anything further back than a canine cause the school would need all the cases for the residents. Just a thought.

Depends on the school I guess... Even though my school has a PG Endo program, we seniors still get some real doozies.

Last week I just completed one difficult case... #31 with 4 canals. The distal two canals are in a 2:1 configuration, and all four roots have a severe hook at the apices. I could have referred it to PG Endo but they got a 3-month backlog, so I said the hell with it and did it myself.

Due to the complex canal anatomy, I couldn't use rotary and had to hand-instrument it. Conventionally pre-curving the files didn't work at all but made things worse-- I was getting blockages. It was a b*tch to maintain patency until I came across a thread at DentalTown on difficult endos in which one of the posters suggested putting a 45-degree kink at the tip of a new fresh-out-of-the-package small-diameter file. Worked like a charm!

Three 3-hour visits to instrument the canals, 1 visit to obturate. The patient walked away happy, and I finally fulfilled my endo requirements to graduate. Sweet. :D

You are guaranteed to do molar endo if you attend my school. There are times when I was fumbling around for 2 hours trying to find the (censored) MB2 canal in a max first molar that I wished we didn't have to do molar endos. :laugh: