OMS4 needs advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

az400

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ok i am a forth year applying to anesthesiology. I have okay board scores COMLEX 561/86 and USMLE 232/99 and okay grades (3.4ish). The problem is that I failed comlex PE (equivalent of usmle cs). How will that affect me when applying to residencies. I am scheduled to take it again in sept. Will it severely hurt my chances?

To be honest ... Yes. Just pass the thing and have a good excuse for the failure. Write up a good personal statement, get some good letters and impress some important attendings at away rotations. You do have a red flag to make up for to go on top of a debatable DO stigma. Best of luck.

Just based on scores you would have had a high chance of matching into ACGME gas. However, the PE failure is a potential red flag. I can't remember if they tell you why you failed it or what component you did poorly on, but if you can find that info out it might help your case (ie poor handwriting).

Regardless you need a passing score, so retake it asap and make sure there is no way you will fail it again.

It would probably be in your best interest to take comlex 2 and usmle 2 asap, so that you have decent scores to help supplement you application.

I honestly thought I failed the PE when I walked out of the center. I was seriously considering taking the USMLE CS just in case I failed it. My thought process was that if I had good/passing scores for all USMLE steps besides step 3, then perhaps PD's would let a failed PE slide as long as I passed it on the second attempt. I have no idea if this is true, but perhaps it's something you could consider. Maybe a PD or someone else with more experience with failing PE scores could chime in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do not send your comlex transcripts to eras until as late as possible (after you have some interviews, and have passed the PE). Take usmle step 2 asap so they have a full set of scores to look at. Do an away rotation at your top attainable location. You should be ok.

I'm applying for anesthesiology residencies (ACGME) as well this year and am also an osteopathic student. I know one guy who was in your situation and he matched into anesthesiology. Same situation as you...failed PE and had to go retake it. He matched at a state school. I'm sorry bud, I know it must be eating at you. Keep up your hard work though and go retake it. Maybe get FirstAid USMLE CS and go through the cases to improve your skills. I think you have a very good USMLE score. 232 is better than most of your competitors (with the exception of everyone on here who makes 260+ for some reason).

If it's possible you could consider not releasing your score until after you have interviewed at places and in the meantime retake it then report both the pass and the fail. That way they get to see the whole applicant instead of just some scores.

Last edited:
Hey thanks alot, I really do appreciate it. Yea luckily I already send my transcripts to eras before I got my results back. So my step 1 comlex is on file not two. That 232 was probably my best shot, I am worried I will get in the 220's in step 2 (so i was debating to take it or not) but i guess that is better than sending my updated comlex transcript.

Any other suggestion are appreciated also, Just trying not to freak out too much today

I didn't quite understand from your post whether you planned to take USMLE Step 2CK or not. However, I suggest you do. You made a 232 on Step 1. I doubt you make in the 220's on Step 2. I think maybe failing the PE has taken some of your confidence?... It's understandable but don't let it discourage you from pursuing the things that will make you the best applicant possible. Take Step 2 USMLE and rock that ****.

Last edited:
Oh sorry about the confusion, I am scheduled for ck at the end of the month. I was debating to take it or not, but i guess i have no choice now

Don't let the PE get you down, it is a good idea to take step 2 regardless of the failure as it gives PD's a complete picture. Having both comlex2/usmle2 ready on Sept 1 was one of the best things I did for my application. Just take some NBME's so you know where you stand. With a strong step 1 score I'm sure you will do well on step 2 if you have been studying.

Make sure you cast a broad net, you will be surprised at which places offer interviews and which ones don't. Best of luck!

So I'm kinda in the same boat now, as I just found out I failed as well. I had good scores on both Steps and both COMLEXs in when I applied in September, and the PE score has probably been out only these past couple weeks for me, and if most interviews have been handed to me seems like, when will residencies download and updated transcript with my failed PE score (especially ones I've interviewed with already)? And is there any strategy I can do to delay them from seeing it?

this is an interesting thread....i just took PE today....easy easy cases, but I've heard there are a bunch of particulars on how they want you to examine patients, proceed through the interview, how to record findings, ect.....but the problem is not a whole ton of information is available on what exactly they are looking for. can you guys shed any insight as too how you failed? for example do i fail if my OMT technique is wrong for just one case, if I use unacceptable abbreviations, write outside the boxes, listen to the heart in only three places in stead of four, forget to do a neuro exam, write down "no weight loss" but you actually forgot to ask that during the interview, forget to ask permission of patient in order to look in the ears. What type of goofs get you failed and what type aren't that big of a deal? It seems really subjective as to how you get failed.

Also there is another thread asking if PE scores are needed to get ranked. I've asked three program directors so far and all three told me they wouldn't care if I didn't have scores back yet. Anybody hear otherwise?