OMT before DO school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docdoc121

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My question to you is:

about how many students in your class, when you first started DO school, actually wanted to truly learn and perform OMT?

about how many were open to the concept, but skeptical of OMT?

how many thought it was pure crap?

give rough estimates.

if you're leaving DO school soon, how many of those people have been swayed otherwise by OMT? for example, if someone was gung-ho about OMT, then did that person lose interest (and vice versa)?

how many of your fellow classmates plan on actually incorporating it into practice?

Members don't see this ad.

Going into school...

Probably 70%/25%/5%.

Haven't left school yet so.

As far as incorporating into practice, I'm sure the number is <15%.

Touro-CA class of 2012
(rough estimates, anyone else from my class please chime in)

About how many students in your class, when you first started DO school, actually wanted to truly learn and perform OMT?

My class was pretty open to learning about it in the beginning as a whole, but as far as wanting to perform OMT, thats a different story. People felt pretty discouraged about OMT until they practiced enough to enhance their palpatory skills. So first year starting out, I'd say about 25% were open enough that they were gung-ho about using it in their practice later on.

About how many were open to the concept, but skeptical of OMT?

25%

How many thought it was pure crap?

50%

If you're leaving DO school soon, how many of those people have been swayed otherwise by OMT? for example, if someone was gung-ho about OMT, then did that person lose interest (and vice versa)?

I would say by the end of second year for my class, that 25% number I mentioned at the beginning turned into 60%. Pretty awesome- people are really interested in using it in practice. We have a terrific OMT program with amazing faculty. :love:

How many of your fellow classmates plan on actually incorporating it into practice?

I would say 40% plan on using it regularly, and realistically, 25-30% will. This is because most of my class will not get much OMT exposure during rotations, and wanting to stay in California, most of them will go into ACGME residencies. Some who go into those residencies will still beable to perform OMT, some won't be allowed, and some may no longer want to after having two years of rotations without any practice. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a recent article in JAOA which shows the use of OMT is on the decline but interest in OMT is rising because patients are demanding it. Most students develop an interest after studying it and seeing others use it or after receiving OMT.

There is a recent article in JAOA which shows the use of OMT is on the decline but interest in OMT is rising because patients are demanding it. Most students develop an interest after studying it and seeing others use it or after receiving OMT.

It would seem that for patients to demand OMT, they would have to know about it. Do most patients really have any idea that DOs do OMT? I tend to doubt it.

Word of mouth from a patient can spread like wildfire.

That's true but also very local. I don't think it carries out profession-wide, but I could be wrong.

It would seem that for patients to demand OMT, they would have to know about it. Do most patients really have any idea that DOs do OMT? I tend to doubt it.

Do most patients even know that DOs exist?