? on BC subject specific tests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zxe1996

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know it says on BC that they recommend you go through the practice tests before attempting the subject specific tests because the questions are sourced from the main practice tests. However, I want to tackle my weaknesses before getting to the main practice tests. I fear that if I use these as a study tool that I will exhaust my question bank before I start taking full length exams. When I get to the full length exams I would like to simulate the real DAT by being exposed to all new questions to really gauge where I stand. So can you guys provide some advice on how to best utilize the BC subject specific tests?

Members don't see this ad.

I would do destroyer first, then BC practice tests, then do subject specific. A great way to tackle subject specific topics is to review your notes and concepts. search questions on a search engine or make your own questions. Now if you're talking about biology, then any order is fine because bio is all about 85% memorization

Reactions: 1 user
Those practice specific tests are useless imo. It's just a gimmick to show they have extra tests and if you end up doing those first, you'll shoot yourself in the foot by getting an inflated score on the practice tests.

I would do destroyer first, then BC practice tests, then do subject specific. A great way to tackle subject specific topics is to review your notes and concepts. search questions on a search engine or make your own questions. Now if you're talking about biology, then any order is fine because bio is all about 85% memorization
Thank you for the advice! I will definitely go through destroyer first and then start the bc tests. Then I guess the specific tests will come in handy after Ive done the full lengths and need to dial in on a topic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Those practice specific tests are useless imo. It's just a gimmick to show they have extra tests and if you end up doing those first, you'll shoot yourself in the foot by getting an inflated score on the practice tests.
I see what your saying I still think it is nice to be able to target a weakness through a subject specific test rather than going through main practice tests looking for your weaknesses. But yes Im trying to avoid inflating my full length scores so I will hold off for now. Thank you for your advice!

So Bootcamp actually has 10 "test" for each section. Do 6-10 individually since they are not part of the full length practice tests. 1-5 is what makes up the full length tests. If I was taking the dat again I personally would not start with destroyer. The questions are much harder than either Bootcamp or the actual DAT and the explanations were often too short for me. I honestly would end up just getting frustrated and discouraged. Once I did some of the Bootcamp tests and studied those areas I was weak in, I started doing destroyer and felt like it was more helpful.

So Bootcamp actually has 10 "test" for each section. Do 6-10 individually since they are not part of the full length practice tests. 1-5 is what makes up the full length tests. If I was taking the dat again I personally would not start with destroyer. The questions are much harder than either Bootcamp or the actual DAT and the explanations were often too short for me. I honestly would end up just getting frustrated and discouraged. Once I did some of the Bootcamp tests and studied those areas I was weak in, I started doing destroyer and felt like it was more helpful.
That sounds like a good idea but my only concern is I may not have time to go through destroyer twice if I push it off. I will be taking the DAT in the beginning of November so I will be doing most of my studying during the semester. So far my plan is to complete the content review in Aug, go through destroyer in Sep, and to focus on BC tests in Oct to work on timing and solidifying the material (also I will be reviewing notes and practicing PAT the entire time). During the month of Oct I had planned on doing a second pass through destroyer because I keep reading that it is best to go through it more than once. With that being said, if I was to delay going through destroyer say until Oct Im not sure if will have a sufficient amount of time to thoroughly go through it. I know that I still have plenty of time but I also have a pretty busy semester ahead.. Any thoughts on how to go about this?

You know, I am a huge believer that each person needs to figure out what works best for them. I think you have a pretty solid plan so far. As the next few months roll by, you'll get a better idea of what to keep or change in your studies. I would say though that as you start destroyer (after you are done reviewing content), if you start to notice that you are struggling to get a least 50% correct and reading/studying the explanations in the back, is not helping you improve on those certain topics, give bootcamp a shot and then come back to destroyer. You would still be able to go through destroyer twice if you wanted, but now you would be tackling harder questions with a bit more knowledge under your belt.

On a side note, I personally did not finish destroyer. I got through less than half of ochem and gen chem, and about 120 or so questions from biology. I used it mainly to see what topics I was missing and then I would go and study those certain topics. This worked really well for me since I ended up doing well on the sciences. Whatever you choose to do, focus on learning and understanding the material! Good luck! We are all cheering for you!

You know, I am a huge believer that each person needs to figure out what works best for them. I think you have a pretty solid plan so far. As the next few months roll by, you'll get a better idea of what to keep or change in your studies. I would say though that as you start destroyer (after you are done reviewing content), if you start to notice that you are struggling to get a least 50% correct and reading/studying the explanations in the back, is not helping you improve on those certain topics, give bootcamp a shot and then come back to destroyer. You would still be able to go through destroyer twice if you wanted, but now you would be tackling harder questions with a bit more knowledge under your belt.

On a side note, I personally did not finish destroyer. I got through less than half of ochem and gen chem, and about 120 or so questions from biology. I used it mainly to see what topics I was missing and then I would go and study those certain topics. This worked really well for me since I ended up doing well on the sciences. Whatever you choose to do, focus on learning and understanding the material! Good luck! We are all cheering for you!
I think that is a great suggestion, I will give it a shot and see how things go. Thank you for the advice and support!