On dealing with rejection.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bachboy123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been reading through recent posts to and from re-applicants. Each advocating more postbacc coursework, retake the MCAT's, clinical or research experience, and other courses of action designed to improve your application and put you in good standing should you choose to reply. I'd like to post something slightly different if i may.

Being rejected sucks. It's a simple statement that has widespread ramifications for reapplicants. Having just completed my first round of applications and recieved NO interview inviations, I feel somewhat qualified to say that being rejected SUCKS. All that work building up to the application process, from studying to MCAT's, the AMCAS, and the immense amount of secondary essays all seems to be wasted when you recieve that hail or rejection letters. It's essentially an admissions committee at each medical school looking at you and saying 'umm, just not good enough. thanks for playing'. I've read that something like 50% of applicants do not get in their first time around, that's a LOT of disappointed people. But, eventually you have to make a descision about your future: Is medicine what you truly want? Is it a profession that stimulates and fulfills you? You better be damn sure that you have answers to those questions because for the reapplicant it's going to be an uphill battle. Yes, it does indeed blow that you've been rejected this time, but there are a wealth of people from admissions committee members, to Pre-Med advisors, even posters on this website who can suggest ways that you could improve your application and take another stab at the application process.
So now you've got some course of action to pursue, some list of things to be remedied, and you've got another choice: Are you really committed to medicine? Are you willing to sacrifice what is needed and devote yourself entirely to this endeavor? because the reality of it is that there are hundreds of people vying for YOUR spot in medical school.
I am truly dissapointed and disheartened that I was rejected this time around. but I KNOW that medicine is what i want, so i have to set aside my feelings of resentment or anger and basically say 'that's life. and when i get in, it'll be all the sweeter.'
So take heart! You're certainly not the first, and you won't be the last to be rejected from medical school. If you choose to take another stab at it, fix what you must, work hard and maybe you'll have a better shot next time. Until then, keep your head up. it takes a whole lot of balls to put yourself out there, risk it all, fail, then get back up and try again.

"In most things success depends on knowing how long it takes to succeed."
-Charles de Montesquieu

sorry if this is a little too off topic for this section. but hey, sometimes even hardened pre-meds need a boost.
i invite any others who want or need it to post their wisdom. the 50% of us who didn't achieve success in the 2006-2007 app season could use it.

Members don't see this ad.

...Is medicine what you truly want? Is it a profession that stimulates and fulfills you? You better be damn sure that you have answers to those questions because for the reapplicant it's going to be an uphill battle...

My best advice: LEARN from it! I got all rejection letters my first time too, but I spent this past year studying and bending over backwards to get A's and learn more about the process, and I can't even begin to tell you how much more I've learned this time around, and I'm feeling pretty good about the '08 cycle.

Your whole life is a learning experience. Get used to it! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
what if you don't know what's wrong with your application?

Contact your pre med advisor for a meeting to go over your application, if you have one at your school. Contact the schools were you were rejected and ask whether you could come in and discuss your application. There are schools where you can meet with the Dean of Admissions/Adcomm members and have them go over your application and point out your weak points, so you know what you have to work on. But for the most part you know what your weak points are in your application. Most people tend to have lower MCAT scores or GPA that need to be raised. If those scores are high or comparable to the avg stats of most med schools, then I would look into your LORs (maybe they weren't as positive or strong as you thought) or lastly your interviewing skills, which could be a killer if you come off as a "not-together" applicant!

Good luck!

...Contact the schools were you were rejected and ask whether you could come in and discuss your application. There are schools where you can meet with the Dean of Admissions/Adcomm members and have them go over your application ...

That's great advice! I've met with the Dean of Admissions at both of my top 2 schools, and not only does it show that you genuinely care, but your name/face will stick in their memory, and could be VERY helpful if you maintain appropriate contact... not to mention the advice about your app! :thumbup:

Thanks for starting this thread, Bachboy123!

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Being rejected sucks!! I have been rejected twice already, and even thought about giving up medicine for a while. But life really is a learning experience, and in a sense it's better to think of the rejection(s) as an opportunity to think things through and reassess your life.

So it's really what you make of it that's important. Silver linings in clouds and all that. If you're sure that med school is the place for you, then don't give up! It's never too late to make some changes such as taking more classes, getting more volunteering/research experience, or retaking the MCAT.

Take heart everyone!