I was in this position and I was told by a student that SUNY is concerned about filling all of its seats too early in the application cycle. I was interviewed in October and placed on hold until December, so I know how nerve-wracking it is (and the ambiguous letter doesn't help). I would suggest you call Admissions and ask for clarification. They were able to give me a tentative date by which I should have a decision, which helped a lot. While you wait, you should definitely make plans in case you're not accepted, which sucks, but it's probably the smartest thing to do. By the way, I was accepted eventually, so there is definitely a chance that you will get in!