"On Hold" from OHSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DandelionMed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received an "on hold" note from OHSU a couple months ago. I was hoping it meant I would receive an invite with the second wave, but instead, crickets.

Is "on hold" OHSU's polite way of saying "rejected"?

Members don't see this ad.

well i got out a flat out rejection several months ago! So no... but I guess people will have to cancel for you to an interview.

Is it worth calling the program to check on things or do I resign myself to my fate?:p

Members don't see this ad :)
I received the same "on hold" email from OHSU some time ago. Haven't heard anything since. Because we are in January now, I'm not counting on hearing from them at all, unless they get some late cancellations. I'd say if you really want to go there, though, it may be worth calling them... after all, what have you got to lose?

I received an "on hold" note from OHSU a couple months ago. I was hoping it meant I would receive an invite with the second wave, but instead, crickets.

Is "on hold" OHSU's polite way of saying "rejected"?

If they think your application would be acceptable to them (even if not better than, say, their 1st or 2nd round invites), then there is no reason for them to close of their option and reject you. From the program's perspective, it only makes sense to outright reject applicants who they would not want to rank; it always makes sense to keep you dangling until they are pretty sure they have exhausted all of their other options (i.e., by interviewing all the candidates they could possibly want to interview).

I have them scheduled as one of my last interviews in late January, and I am definitely going, but since they're scheduling that late, I'd assume they expect a fair number of cancellations.

I would email the coordinator and just let them know how interested you are and that you would be available to be there at the drop of a hat if a spot opens up (if you're willing to do this, that is. Might be pricey.)

If they think your application would be acceptable to them (even if not better than, say, their 1st or 2nd round invites), then there is no reason for them to close of their option and reject you. From the program's perspective, it only makes sense to outright reject applicants who they would not want to rank; it always makes sense to keep you dangling until they are pretty sure they have exhausted all of their other options (i.e., by interviewing all the candidates they could possibly want to interview).

This is discouraging, but so true. I guess if the program likes me so little I haven't made it into the lineup by now, it's probably not worth the money to go out there even if I were to get an interview at this point. I've gotten interviews at a lot of good places; I just really like that part of the country...

This is discouraging, but so true. I guess if the program likes me so little I haven't made it into the lineup by now, it's probably not worth the money to go out there even if I were to get an interview at this point. I've gotten interviews at a lot of good places; I just really like that part of the country...

A program would not interview a candidate it did not intend to rank (and if it did, I cannot imagine why -- it's expensive from the program's perspective as well). So if/when you do get an interview, it would be hard for me to say whether you should just decline it on the grounds that they would rank you so low that it isn't worth your time to fly out for an interview. It isn't true that everyone who interviews is on equal footing, but then again neither is it true that a late interview is the kiss of death.

I have them scheduled as one of my last interviews in late January, and I am definitely going, but since they're scheduling that late, I'd assume they expect a fair number of cancellations.

)

Lots of really good programs interview late in the season. I don't think there's a correlation between interviewing late into the season and an anticipation of a high percentage of cancellations.

Definitely contact the program coordinator, but I think our last interviews are next week, so it might not happen. It seems like you've gotten interviews at lots of great places, so you'll be totally fine. No clue why/how our interview choices are made.

About cancellations, I think all programs get a fair number of cancellations. I doubt it has much to do with anything.