On Hold Status: Pre interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stansbury

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to start a thread regarding what the hold status means pre interview at schools. I was wondering what this on hold status generally means: is it a rejection and they are just waiting to send this to us later on, does it depend on each school individually. I already know what the GW status means, but what about Case Western, or Miami, or Loyola, or MCW or any other school. Everyone feel free to add schools and hopefully someone more knowledgeable can answer what these holds mean.

Members don't see this ad.

stansbury said:
I just wanted to start a thread regarding what the hold status means pre interview at schools. I was wondering what this on hold status generally means: is it a rejection and they are just waiting to send this to us later on, does it depend on each school individually. I already know what the GW status means, but what about Case Western, or Miami, or Loyola, or MCW or any other school. Everyone feel free to add schools and hopefully someone more knowledgeable can answer what these holds mean.

I don't claim to be more knowledgeable but I'll chime in anyway... I think in most cases it means you're relatively competitive but not uber-competitive in their applicant pool. The reason they don't reject you is because they have to consider that you might be worth looking at later on, once the superstars have had their shot. It's my impression that the "competitive but non-superstar applicants" will probably start getting interviews at higher-tiered schools starting in january to march. At least that's my theory... and I'm hoping it applies to me. I got a TON of interviews from safety-ish schools that I applied to with a couple of higher-tiered ones. I'm guessing/hoping that the higher schools that didn't reject me are considering me for their later rounds of interviews.

Info for Pritzker I found on Secondary Application pager. Looks like 25% of those On Hold get interviewed:

On first review, about 450 applicants are invited to interview and about 200 applicants are put on hold for a second review at a later date. Of these, about 50 are ultimately invited to interview. Should you be placed on hold for a second review, we advise you to mail any new information (reasons for interest in Pritzker, grade reports, abstracts, other publications, honors, awards or any special recognition) to the Committee. All applicants held for a second review will be notified by February 1, 2006, if they are going to be invited for interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does Pritzker send a notification if you've been placed on hold? I haven't heard anything from them since being complete in September, but I've seen others (with better GPA/MCAT than me) who were complete around the same time get rejected. I'm too afraid to call because I think my rejection just got lost in the mail ;)

I just received a HOLD letter from SUNY Upstate and I am mailing out a update letter tomorrow along with some new information. After my fall grades come out, I am going to be sending another letter. I am going to give it my best try and attempt to show all schools that I really want to be a doctor.

MCW does give interviews to people who they put on the "Hold" list pre interview. Anyone have info on the other schools?

Does anyone know if case western gives interviews to people after they have been placed on hold? Thanks in advance guys!

TicAL said:
Does Pritzker send a notification if you've been placed on hold? I haven't heard anything from them since being complete in September, but I've seen others (with better GPA/MCAT than me) who were complete around the same time get rejected. I'm too afraid to call because I think my rejection just got lost in the mail ;)

Yes. You get an "Application On Hold" email from Pritzker.

Anyone else get this letter? Anyone else in previous years placed in pre-interview hold and actually get to interview?