On-line Atlas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDre'

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dr. Doan or others,
Have a test on diabetic complications on Friday. The ppt handout is poor. I was wondering if there is a good on-line atlas that has good photos of diabetic retinopathy.

Any ideas?

Dr. Doan, nice weather lately- I wish I could enjoy it more. Great change from the arctic conditions a few weeks ago...

Members don't see this ad.

That's a great site!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by DrDre'
Dr. Doan or others,
Have a test on diabetic complications on Friday. The ppt handout is poor. I was wondering if there is a good on-line atlas that has good photos of diabetic retinopathy.

Any ideas?

Dr. Doan, nice weather lately- I wish I could enjoy it more. Great change from the arctic conditions a few weeks ago...

I love Spring in Iowa! :clap: I can actually thaw out and go jogging now. I need to get in shape for the Navy next year. My time for active duty draws very near! :D

It's going to be great.

In regards to an Atlas, I found this on the web and thought the photos were good:

http://www.eyesearch.com/diabetic.retinopathy.images.htm

The images from http://www.redatlas.org are awesome! I'll have to add this one in the FAQ! ;)

Thanks.

redatlas.org needs to update their photos. Many are old and very bad, and it's hard to appreciate the clinical features of some diseases. For instance, my photo of cystinosis is better than the one they have on the site. Their photo of cystinosis looks like granular corneal dystrophy and some of the photos have really bad color too. :(

Thx for the web sites everybody.

Dr. Doan,
Will you do a subspecialty for sure? Will the Navy OK it? When will you know?

The nice thing about Iowa spring is its great contrast to the winter. It makes it so awesome to have those first few days of sun and warmth. There is something to be said for having the seasons. I imagine the perfection of So. Cal must get monotonous :).

Look forward to meeting you on the wards this year in person.
Take care, Andre'

Originally posted by DrDre'
Thx for the web sites everybody.

Dr. Doan,
Will you do a subspecialty for sure? Will the Navy OK it? When will you know?

The nice thing about Iowa spring is its great contrast to the winter. It makes it so awesome to have those first few days of sun and warmth. There is something to be said for having the seasons. I imagine the perfection of So. Cal must get monotonous :).

Look forward to meeting you on the wards this year in person.
Take care, Andre'

Introduce yourself when you come to the clinic in the Spring. I'll either be in Glaucoma or Retina.

I'll do a subspecialty for sure. I don't quit until I get what I want. I'll apply every year until the Navy let's me go!

At this point, I'll pursue ocular pathology and neuro-ophthalmology. No one wants to do ocular pathology, so it's really only a matter of time until the ocular pathologists in the Navy retire! ;)

Neuro-ophth, huh.
Last year when I was an M1 we went down to ophth clinic and practiced exams on each other. Dr. Lee happened to be our faculty facilitator. We had not covered the neuro pathways at all and he pimped us for two hours. It was painful. We "lucked" into the wrong guy that day. He was nice but it was so humbling.

I'll introduce myself if I see you in halls before July.
Take care,
Andre'

Originally posted by guttata
redatlas.org

Always interesting to see familiar names in semi-unexpected places. The webmaster of that site is one of the Retina fellows at Doheny/USC.

Originally posted by Jaded Soul
Always interesting to see familiar names in semi-unexpected places. The webmaster of that site is one of the Retina fellows at Doheny/USC.

There's a lot of big names on that site. :)

I think the site is great with a huge database of photos. However, like most atlases, it's lacking in written content. On the other hand, for sites with written content, they lack in quality photos.

This is why I'm working with the faculty and residents at Iowa to make a continually growing archive of ophthalmic cases and atlas. My goal is to build up a free online database of cases with content similar to the Wills Eye Manual. The residents are presenting and seeing interesting cases all day long, so with a small amount of effort, we could post about 100 cases a year. The best part is that this online reference will grow and change. In addition, it'll provide variations of one disease, which I think is lacking in textbooks and atlases. For instance, we could present what AD, AR, and X-linked RP looks like in patients (which present very differently and have different visual outcomes).

Most people publish only what they think is the "classic" presentation. Well, this isn't the case in clinical medicine. Diseases often blur the lines that physicians try to draw to pigeon hole diseases into separate categories. My plan is to have each case be like this one:

http://webeye.ophth.uiowa.edu/eyeforum/rounds1.htm

Ultimately, these diseases well be listed by diease entities and searchable on the site.

Andrew_Doan said:
I made an atlas that you all can contribute with your digital photos or scanned images. Go to http://www.eyerounds.org/ and either 'search' or 'add to' the atlas!

Enjoy!

We've added over 100 clinical photos. Come browse or add your own photos to this online atlas! I'll add more this weekend and aim to have over 200 photos by next week.

If your academic program wants to work with Iowa to build up this online ophthalmic atlas, then please contact me: [email protected]

I can help your program setup the webpages on your server, and we can collaborate to increase the atlas collection. I'll add program banners to the atlas engine as we go. This is a win-win situation for everyone.

www.eyerounds.org/atlas.htm

I was wondering whether there was a good PDA programme (I have T5) for ophtho with photos of common conditions. I have eMedicine ophtho but image quality is very poor.