on probation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skinnerboy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, our program was put on probation and I am in total shock and disbelief! More importantly, I was wondering about any negative implications for my internship application? Does anybody have any insight or web links that explain specifics? This sucks big time. I am not Argosy or any CA school...please help me clarify! Thanks a million.

Members don't see this ad.

If internship sites know that your program has been put on probation, then I'd imagine it could unfortunately reflect negatively on your application, yes. However, I'd imagine most sites also understand that the probation wasn't directly due to anything you've done.

Beyond that, I don't know that you'll be able to find much in the way of specifics, as it's likely not something that'll be advertised or even formally outlined by most internship sites.

So, our program was put on probation and I am in total shock and disbelief! More importantly, I was wondering about any negative implications for my internship application? Does anybody have any insight or web links that explain specifics? This sucks big time. I am not Argosy or any CA school...please help me clarify! Thanks a million.

If I were in your program, I'd be asking for a town hall about the probation so all students are clear on implications and how the program intends to fix it. It is possible for a program to have done things right, and be put on probation just for having a very very shoddy self-report. Or, there could be extreme problems somewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed, I hope your program provides information and addresses student concerns. I must say I am very curious about which program it is, the APA keeps a list but I am not sure how often it is updated.
http://www.apa.org/ed/accreditation/programs/clinical.aspx

Yeah, hope you'll be able to get what you need from your program. A friend was at Fielding when the program went on probation and he had to email each internship coordinator prior to applying, asking whether they'd accept his application. Not to scare the -- out of you but it will probably be a good idea to be informed and be open about that kind of stuff. I am really sorry to hear that skinnerboy.
If it loses it's accreditation., you got your degree from a non-accredited school, right? Or does the status of entry into the program count in the end?

Yeah, hope you'll be able to get what you need from your program. A friend was at Fielding when the program went on probation and he had to email each internship coordinator prior to applying, asking whether they'd accept his application. Not to scare the -- out of you but it will probably be a good idea to be informed and be open about that kind of stuff. I am really sorry to hear that skinnerboy.
If it loses it's accreditation., you got your degree from a non-accredited school, right? Or does the status of entry into the program count in the end?

Per the APA CoA:

The effective date of the revocation is the date of the CoA meeting in which the decision was made. If the program appeals the CoA's decision to revoke, and that decision is upheld, the revocation will take effect 30 days after the appeal hearing is held. Individuals completing the program after that date are not considered to have completed an accredited program.

So if the CoA meeting that revokes accreditation occurs after your degree is awarded, you're ok. If it occurs prior to your degree being awarded, you're considered to have graduated from a non-accredited program.

Keep in mind that, as best I know, if this (i.e., the CoA meeting) occurs while you're on internship, then you could theoretically have started internship with an accredited degree but end up finishing internship and graduating without one. This might be why the individual you mentioned at Fielding had to email internship sites.

Per the APA CoA:

So if the CoA meeting that revokes accreditation occurs after your degree is awarded, you're ok. If it occurs prior to your degree being awarded, you're considered to have graduated from a non-accredited program.

Keep in mind that, as best I know, if this (i.e., the CoA meeting) occurs while you're on internship, then you could theoretically have started internship with an accredited degree but end up finishing internship and graduating without one. This might be why the individual you mentioned at Fielding had to email internship sites.

Thanks, AcronymAllergy. OMG, so, if I'd go into internship with "accredited, on probation" and it is still on probation when I graduate, would I graduate from a program that is accredited, not accredited, or on probation? Probably the latter. Does anybody know? All kinds of questions arise from this situation: e.g., for internship applications, don't I have to come from an accredited program? So, do they even accepted applicants from a program on probation?? Please anybody, any guidance, thoughts are appreciated. thanks All!

so, if I'd go into internship with "accredited, on probation" and it is still on probation when I graduate, would I graduate from a program that is accredited, not accredited, or on probation?

You would graduate from an accredited program.

I'm not aware of the time limits on probations.

You would graduate from an accredited program.

I'm not aware of the time limits on probations.

Yep, like MCParent said, you'd be graduating from an accredited program, since there's no delineation of whether or not it's on probation (i.e., it's dichotomous).

I believe the timeline for probation is something along the lines of the program being reviewed again with another site visit in not less than 1 year and not more than 2.

I echo the sentiments that the school probably needs to have a "town hall" style meeting to explain this to the students. To be perfectly honesty, APA has numerous checks and balance systems in place that prevent a school from going from accredited one day, to not accredited the next. As has been mentioned, your school still has the opportunity to appeal (which I imagine they are likely to do).

I believe the timeline for probation is something along the lines of the program being reviewed again with another site visit in not less than 1 year and not more than 2.

This is also my understanding. Regardless of the APA response to that appeal, your school still has a chance to fix the problems that put them on probation in the first place, and APA will have given them a timeline for having doing so (typically a 1 year to 18 month period). Depending on when the school was placed on probation, APA will review the status of the program again in 1-2 years time before making a more final decision. As long as your school address the problems, and they have at least a year to do so, it is unlikely that accreditation will be revoked.

If the school continues to be inconsistent with the standards, then it is likely the accreditation will be revoked. However, as long as you graduate before accreditation is officially withdrawn then you have graduated from an accredited program.

A friend of mine was at a program that is on probation. She had to email each program and ask if they would consider her due to the program's status. She got a number of interviews and landed an APA internship.

I am a Fielding student and I applied to internship while the program was on probation. Fielding is now off probation. Our administration showed an enormous amount of transparency and openness throughout the process. All students received a copy of the APA show cause letter so that everyone in the institution would know what the issues were and the challenges ahead. Your student body deserves the same level of openness. I applied to internship while the program was on probation and I am now in a hospital based APA accredited internship site working my %#$& off. The internship site has told me that they understood how educational administrators can screw up royally and that this does not necessarily reflect badly on the student per se. But I feel that I was handicapped in the application process by our program's probationary status. I was never asked about the probationary status but I expect that many sites refused to look at me because of it. But I worked VERY hard at creating a top notch application. Hopefully this will be resolved quickly. The COA really does not want to hurt anyone and they are not the enemy.