On the edge: how to go about boosting my chances

Started by CapCrunch
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CapCrunch

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will be graduating this spring with a AACOMAS cGPA of 3.03 and a sGPA of 2.89.
Major: Biology
Minor: Physiology and Neurobiology
Did first two years at a top NY state college, and last 2 years at a top 20 OOS college, as well as 3 "for fun" credits from a local CC.

My plan until now was to do an informal post-bacc and retake a few classes, while taking 1 or 2 new science classes. I have no MCAT scheduled yet, and plan on retaking Orgo in order to refresh my memory, as well as replace the B-/C+.

The big question: Should I commit to my previous plan of 2 years post-bacc/retakes and hope for the best, or would someone in my situation be suitable for an SMP after the 1 year of post-bacc. I am forced to do 1 year of post-bacc because I haven't taken the MCAT yet, so an immediate SMP in Fall '13 is out of the question.
 
What are you on the edge of? Cos its not US medical school admission...

You need an SMP and/or rock the MCAT
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will be graduating this spring with a AACOMAS cGPA of 3.03 and a sGPA of 2.89.
Major: Biology
Minor: Physiology and Neurobiology
Did first two years at a top NY state college, and last 2 years at a top 20 OOS college, as well as 3 "for fun" credits from a local CC.

My plan until now was to do an informal post-bacc and retake a few classes, while taking 1 or 2 new science classes. I have no MCAT scheduled yet, and plan on retaking Orgo in order to refresh my memory, as well as replace the B-/C+.

The big question: Should I commit to my previous plan of 2 years post-bacc/retakes and hope for the best, or would someone in my situation be suitable for an SMP after the 1 year of post-bacc. I am forced to do 1 year of post-bacc because I haven't taken the MCAT yet, so an immediate SMP in Fall '13 is out of the question.

It looks like you'll need both GPA repair via post-bacc and an SMP. You'll also need a solid MCAT. You have a very long and tough road ahead if you want to be competitive, and even then you might not get in. You should carefully consider the potential costs/consequences of spending years in post-bacc/SMP only to not get in. This isn't meant to discourage you. I say this so that you don't find yourself regretting going down this path years down the road.
 
What are you on the edge of? Cos its not US medical school admission...

You need an SMP and/or rock the MCAT

I am not considering MD, only DO. The ultimate plan was to retake classes and then after 2 years apply, or retake for one year and then apply to an SMP program after I have taken the MCAT.

It looks like you'll need both GPA repair via post-bacc and an SMP. You'll also need a solid MCAT. You have a very long and tough road ahead if you want to be competitive, and even then you might not get in. You should carefully consider the potential costs/consequences of spending years in post-bacc/SMP only to not get in. This isn't meant to discourage you. I say this so that you don't find yourself regretting going down this path years down the road.
 
yeah,think so,If you want DO, just re take some classes/upper division sciences and apply. No need for SMP
6.gif
 
Thanks to those that responded. And to approach the verge of competitiveness would mean to raise my cGPA and sGPA both to roughly 3.3?