On the fence here. Looking for good advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Barfalamule

Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The application year went about as expected. 1 interview and 1 waitlist. I know it isn't over yet, but I'm gearing up for my backup plan, which is to retake the MCAT and do medical research, shadowing and more volunteering afterwards. However, I recently looked into Tulane's ACP program and UCinn's Masters and I am now considering forgoing the MCAT retake and applying to these programs. I took biochem and genetics in the fall and got As so I'm now sitting at a 3.35/3.36 30M with a post-bacc GPA of 3.99 over 40 credit hours. What do you think my best route is at this point? Retake the MCAT and shoot for the 32-35 range, or forget the retake and launch into a SMP. Or both?? But time spent studying for the MCAT is time that could be spent researching and studying other interests.
 
This is of course just my opinion to be taken with a grain of salt, but if I were you I would retake the MCAT (if you are consistently scoring in higher range on practice tests) and do more shadowing and research. The SMPs are expensive, plus you already got great post bacc grades. Just my opinion...
 
My mantra is that if there is something that you can do to bring you closer to your goal, then DO IT. There is no room for cost/benefit analysis (unfortunately 🙁) during the medical school application process. In your situation, I'd retake the MCAT and really work on it. I really believe it possible for most people to get within the 35 range. If you can afford the SMP, go to the SMP, kick its butt, and do some more committed volunteering. Don't leave any aspect of your application unattended. There are only so many things that you have control over, and you must be willing to do whatever it takes to make sure those aspects that you can change are improved as much as humanly possible. If you've really done everything in your power to make yourself as appealing as possible, then you can rest easy knowing that you really did give it everything you've got. At that point, its out of your hands and it's another person's decision that is going to decide your fate. Your job is to give them as little reason as possible to say 'No.' Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You may want to retake the MCAT and do the SMP.
You could take some more UG classes, but it sounds like you've already taken some upper levels.

Have you thought about DO schools as well? Your grades are good for that option.
 
Thanks for the responses guys. I might wind up doing both. Tulane and UCinn have great deals on their ACP and MBS respectively. I'm just not sure my numbers are competitive for those programs. I signed up for the MCAT but started to waver back and forth when the idea of a SMP or equivalent popped into my head. DO is also an option. I decided to apply MD only last year, but I have no qualms with going this route. After this last cycle, I'm thinking 30 is no longer the magical number, that it is in fact more like 32.
 
Thanks for the responses guys. I might wind up doing both. Tulane and UCinn have great deals on their ACP and MBS respectively. I'm just not sure my numbers are competitive for those programs. I signed up for the MCAT but started to waver back and forth when the idea of a SMP or equivalent popped into my head. DO is also an option. I decided to apply MD only last year, but I have no qualms with going this route. After this last cycle, I'm thinking 30 is no longer the magical number, that it is in fact more like 32.
I believe Tulane's program that requires a waitlist to get in is highly linked (90% go to Tulane or something?). They talk about it on their website.
 
some schools that offer the SMP programs also have guarantees with regard to admission if you achieve a certain MCAT score, GPA, etc. Some of the people in my class did this. In the process, they took all of the first year courses except Gross. The downside, it is expensive. This application year was more competitive than last year. Do whatever you have to do to make yourself more competitive. The most important thing is to make yourself stand out from the crowd.
 
why don't you apply to some DO programs ? with those numbers, I think you'll have a strong chance