On the outside looking in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hematochezia

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I figured I'd throw myself out there and ask the applicant world for advice. I am currently a third year resident and I will be applying for GI. I plan on working as a hospitalist as a year but I wondered if I really had a shot at this.

A quick overview of my application.
Pros:
publications: 2 general pubs, 2 case reports, 4 posters, 2 oral presentations
(mid ranged journals, ACG, ACP, etc)
top 10 ugrad, top 15 medical school - full rides to both
positive away rotation at a top 20 GI program
2 nationally known GI doc recs, 1 well known CC doc rec (few community GI folks willing to call on my behalf at programs)
AMG MD

Cons:
Very mediocre residency program (I did not think I would have an inkling of specializing when I came here)
Lukewarm relationship with the PD
Mediocre USMLE scores 200-220s
I'm a little on the old fart side
No chief position

I have absolutely NO IDEA what other applicants look like as my program is very heavy on the ID/endocrine/nephro side but has produced a scant amount of GI and cards folks. In addition, my few friends that went into IM from med school all went for cards.

Is this a competitive application or am I on the outside looking in because of my modest program?