Gastroenterologists in the community

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StartsInGut

Reaction score
Very interested in GI. I know how the academic life is but to those in the community

1)What's your schedule like?
2) Percentage of procedures that are screening colonoscopies?
3) Can advanced endoscopy be done in community or is it reserved for big academic institutions?
4) are there jobs available where you can practice the whole gamut of advanced endoscopy? I understand that that poem for achalasia may not be feasible as the patient pool maybe be too small to maintain competency but with screening colonoscopies now starting at 45 i suspect a lot a lot more cancers will be detected early, so esd might become more prevalent
5) any threat of nurse endoscopists or turf war with surgeons?
I am absolutely inspired by this advanced endoscopist I did a case report with. He worked hard yet managed to have a lot of fun and seemed like a laid back guy. Wanted to commit myself 100 percent to this as gi is insanely competitive

Members don't see this ad.

Very interested in GI. I know how the academic life is but to those in the community

1)What's your schedule like?
2) Percentage of procedures that are screening colonoscopies?
3) Can advanced endoscopy be done in community or is it reserved for big academic institutions?
4) are there jobs available where you can practice the whole gamut of advanced endoscopy? I understand that that poem for achalasia may not be feasible as the patient pool maybe be too small to maintain competency but with screening colonoscopies now starting at 45 i suspect a lot a lot more cancers will be detected early, so esd might become more prevalent
5) any threat of nurse endoscopists or turf war with surgeons?
I am absolutely inspired by this advanced endoscopist I did a case report with. He worked hard yet managed to have a lot of fun and seemed like a laid back guy. Wanted to commit myself 100 percent to this as gi is insanely competitive
1)variable, <40 hours per week + weekend call a few times per year
2) why are you asking this question? do you want the answer to be high or low? as you are not yet even in GI fellowship, I dont think you would even know how to evaluate the answer to this question if I were to answer it
3) can be done in community setting
4) yes
5) no and no. the threat of NP endoscopists is just not there. I cannot imagine that NP endoscopists will take even a share of the market at any point in my entire career. Would you ever send yourself or your family member to an NP endoscopist? As for colorectal surgeons, yes they do their own colonoscopy but it's not really a turf war. there's enough patients for everyone.

Note: GI is certainly competitive. I am not sure I would call it 'insanely' competitive if you prepare for it beginning in late med school or early residency.

Status
Not open for further replies.