on the right track?

Started by seva86
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

seva86

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone--
This spring, I graduated with a BS in Biopsychology from a pretty good school with a 2.7 GPA. I've decided that I still want to go to medical school but know it's not realistic to aim for attending anytime soon. I will be going for my MPH in a hard-science field (toxicology) next Fall at the same school (highly ranked in public health). I'm even surprised I got in, but I managed to get a good GRE score and had decent research experience + recommendations.

I'm pretty burnt out from undergrad so I'm giving myself a year off to figure out my life😛 In the meantime, I have a year-long commitment as a research assistant for a federal government-based health agency in DC. The PI happens to be a professor at a prestigious medical school in the area and I hope to get closer to him as the year progresses (for recommendations, etc). Moreover, as this job will be part-time for a while, I'm looking into internships as well.

Through an AMCAS post-bacc search, I learned that my local state university offers science classes in the evening; somewhat of a post-bacc program for working individuals. I'm not sure as to which classes will mostly benefit my grades -- do I retake the basic sciences (I've already completed all the prereqs) or do I take upper levels? I will already take similar courses in my MPH program, though I've been told graduate courses don't counts. That's the bind I'm in now.

I figure that I will use this year to get as much experience as possible, take and do well in post-bacc courses, complete my MPH, perhaps work for a year (while taking classes if need be) afterward thereby applying to medical school in about 5 years.

I've read a lot about the SMP but I honestly don't think it would be worth it to someone in my position. Not knocking on anyone who chooses that route though; to each, his/her own. I just feel this plan suits my goals, not to mention financial background.

Does this sound like a good plan? Is there anything more I should be doing aside studying like crazy for the MCAT?

Thanks!
 
You'll need to improve GPA by quite a bit. In the end, you'll most likely have to end up doing a SMP - the average matriculant now has close to a 3.7 GPA, so it's very difficult to break in with a low GPA, even if you get it up to a 3.2-3.3.