Once accepted, do D schools look at your med records?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drrrd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do D schools look at your med records? And what medical things would constitute you as incapable for dentistry? I mean besides the obvious like no hands, etc... I guess I'm asking does anyone know of D students who got "kicked out" because of a medical disorder/disease?

Members don't see this ad.

You have to submit a physical (usually from within the last 6 months) and proof of immunization. So I guess it all depends on what is asked on the physical form the school you're going to attend....

You have to submit a physical (usually from within the last 6 months) and proof of immunization. So I guess it all depends on what is asked on the physical form the school you're going to attend....

Really? I never had to submit a physical after entering school. Maybe your school is different. To the OP. You have to realize your limitations though. If you are handicapped such as being an epileptic and aren't being treated, or you have Tourette syndrome, you may want evaluate whether or not your physical handicap might impair your ability to practice dentistry safely.

Members don't see this ad :)
We had to get a physical to show we were in relatively good health, show that our immunizations were up to date, and to make sure we didn't have TB or HBV. Some people didn't get this done by the start of school, but we had to make sure everything was cleared before we could start seeing patients. HBV seems to be the biggest concern, some schools actually won't let you matriculate if you're positive for any blood bourne pathogen because of risks to patients and also problems with licensure. I believe U of Maryland actually lists on their website that you should consider an alternative career.

Really? I never had to submit a physical after entering school. Maybe your school is different. To the OP. You have to realize your limitations though. If you are handicapped such as being an epileptic and aren't being treated, or you have Tourette syndrome, you may want evaluate whether or not your physical handicap might impair your ability to practice dentistry safely.

I'm not sure what year you are - but I was on the waitlist at Tufts this past cycle (I think you go to Tufts, rights? sorry if I'm wrong) and they even made the waitlisters submit a physical and immunization records. Maybe when you started at Tufts they didn't require it? I'm pretty sure they do now.

Anyway. I completely agree that if you have an ailment that may impair your abilities to be a successful dentist you may want to consider an alternative career.

I tested positive on a tuberculin skin test a few years ago, the Dr. told me not to worry about it. Is that gonna prevent me from being able to enroll in dental school (or get a license?)

I tested positive on a tuberculin skin test a few years ago, the Dr. told me not to worry about it. Is that gonna prevent me from being able to enroll in dental school (or get a license?)

The school's going to need to know that you don't have an active TB infection. Since you test positive for a skin test, you'll likely need to take a chest xray to rule it out. Talk to your physician about it and he can decide if you need to be put on isoniazid or some other antibiotic for the next 6 months.

You should ask your parents if you were ever vaccinated for TB. I know alot of foreign students (Korea for one) have been vaccinated for TB which will give them a positive skin test. You will need documentation.

What types of things do they do in a physical? Just the basics, right? What about things you may have gone to the doctor for 6-12 months prior to d school. Are they automatically included in your record?

What types of things do they do in a physical? Just the basics, right? What about things you may have gone to the doctor for 6-12 months prior to d school. Are they automatically included in your record?

I don't know how your school will ask for the report, but at UOP they just give us a form that we have our physician fill out. In order to fill it all out, they may need to conduct some tests. Whatever you went to your doctor for in the past year will be in your medical chart, but that's not handed over to the dental school. Depending on what it is however, your physician may or may not need to include it on the physical exam form. I'm not sure what you're trying to hide, but if it's something serious that might interfere with your ability to practice, it's better to let them know now. The criteria for licensure are much stricter than for matriculation, so if it comes out 4 years from now and prohibits you from practicing, then you better think of a good way to pay off you loans.

I really don't think it will hinder my ability as a dentist. I wouldn't want to be dentist if it would. I just don't know how d school views this type of stuff. I know plenty of students from undergrad who had similar diagnosis, more along the lines of: ADD, panic disorders, OCD, depression etc. Only one of these, and of course treated, and hopefully temporary.
Sometimes I think that some of these can work to your advantage and eventually help you gain success, but how do d schools view this? And can they reject you after accepting you?

If it's anything that's categorized as a learning disability, the school actually has to make accommodations. One of my classmates is diagnosed with ADHD and he has the option of getting more time for tests, getting a quieter separate room for tests, etc. He hasn't needed to utilize any of these options, but the school has been very understanding and will help out if needed.

No, they can't see any medical info you don't give them access to (under normal circumstances). Absolutely DO NOT tell them this information. They don't need to know and it can hurt you later on. Keep yourself OFF the radar.

Ok I'll just lay it all out there. This is anonymous right? Well I have been having panic attacks, and if you know anything about them they are pretty debilitating when they occur. I mean you feel like you're about to faint, and feel really out of reality. So I understand this would not be good for dentistry. But with antianxiety med, it's treatable and relatively common at that. They think I may be having them in response to a thyroid problem, which again is easily treatable. Finally, they also think this is related to my pregnancy and postpartum, so hopefully it will not last. I was just scared that d school would see all this as unfit for d school. I hope you understand why I'm concerned and really appreciate any and all opinions and insight on the matter. Thanks.

This is all confidential, right??? :scared:

If it's anything that's categorized as a learning disability, the school actually has to make accommodations. One of my classmates is diagnosed with ADHD and he has the option of getting more time for tests, getting a quieter separate room for tests, etc. He hasn't needed to utilize any of these options, but the school has been very understanding and will help out if needed.

Which makes perfect sense. Because when this guy is an oral surgeon and his patient is bleeding out in the chair or O2 sats are slipping he can totally tell the patient to hold on a half hour while he takes a few extra minutes to collect himself in a quiet room. :rolleyes:

Glad to hear he hasn't needed the special accomodations though.

Which makes perfect sense. Because when this guy is an oral surgeon and his patient is bleeding out in the chair or O2 sats are slipping he can totally tell the patient to hold on a half hour while he takes a few extra minutes to collect himself in a quiet room. :rolleyes:

Glad to hear he hasn't needed the special accomodations though.

As a person with ADD, I can tell you I do better working with my hands, and do better in situations which require me to think on my feet. What I don't do well at is sitting still and listening to monotone lectures, making sure I transcribe every mind numbingly boring piece of information. I am usually one of the first persons done during exams. I wonder how many people with ADD opt for special occamidations. I would bet most of us who get to this level don't need it. Even if I did feel I needed extra time, I wouldn't because I don't think its fair/don't want to be different.