Once again...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

Rydney

This is the only place I can find factual information about military medical matters. I have looked, but cannot find the retirement age required by the military for doctors. I found that they do not have to retire at 55, as apparently all other officers (NCO's too?) do, but this site did not tell me when a doctor must leave the military. Anyone know this one?

Members don't see this ad.

This is the only place I can find factual information about military medical matters. I have looked, but cannot find the retirement age required by the military for doctors. I found that they do not have to retire at 55, as apparently all other officers (NCO's too?) do, but this site did not tell me when a doctor must leave the military. Anyone know this one?

you can get a waiver for pretty much anything you want, but there is a point of dimishing return that tends to push people to retire.

The other reason that you can't find a hard answer, is because one doesn't really exist.

With the line Navy, if your passed over for promotion three times at the same rank while your 'in zone' then you can't stay on, and have to get out.

With some ranks this is kind of overlooked, so you can find lots of MO's that have 20 plus years in, and will never make it past CDR (05) they haven't taken the administrative billets that will buy them CAPT, but the Navy doesn't really want to tell them they have to go home, because they need the body's. So they get waivers.

The point of diminishing return comes in that at 20 yrs you can retire, and take your 40% of base pay ( not really that much) and then get a contracting job working in the same clinic that you worked in last week as active duty, and don't have to worry about getting deployed.

good luck, and if you choose the insanity, then I hope you enjoy it.

i want out

In the AF, as long as you continue to progress in rank and in command, there is no forced retirement date. If you are on the clinical side, I was told that there is no AFI on mandatory retirment age, but as you get older, esp beyond 55, there will be a push for you to bow out.

Currently, the AF is desperate to keep docs, so unlike the force reshaping that is taking place for all other 0-5 or 0-6 personnel, the docs who want to keep working are safe.

Members don't see this ad :)

No, no, no. Retirement is 62 without a waiver. Do some stay longer? Yes. The last WWII vet retired a couple of years ago at the age of 81 (admittedly he was PHS/Coast Guard) from a Uniformed Service after time in the Navy.

Mandatory out depends on rank. O-6 is 30 years of commissioned service, O-5 is 26, and O-4 is 20. If you have prior enlisted time you can have longer total service, but not commissioned service.

If you get to 30 as an O-6 you can request retired retained. Then you get to stay on AD and increase your retirement base.

That answer your question?

No, no, no. Retirement is 62 without a waiver. Do some stay longer? Yes. The last WWII vet retired a couple of years ago at the age of 81 (admittedly he was PHS/Coast Guard) from a Uniformed Service after time in the Navy.

Mandatory out depends on rank. O-6 is 30 years of commissioned service, O-5 is 26, and O-4 is 20. If you have prior enlisted time you can have longer total service, but not commissioned service.

If you get to 30 as an O-6 you can request retired retained. Then you get to stay on AD and increase your retirement base.

That answer your question?

Exactly what I was looking for, now how does a scholarship/ushu?? factor in. If you hit 20 years as an 0-4, but for retirment purposes you are still only at 16 years, do they boot you?

Exactly what I was looking for, now how does a scholarship/ushu?? factor in. If you hit 20 years as an 0-4, but for retirment purposes you are still only at 16 years, do they boot you?

Your clock starts over when you graduate. The intial 4 years from HPSP do not count towards the ceilings.