Saw a school Psychologist once, will I be disqualified from HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentist409

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was having a hard semester and so I decided to talk to a school psychologist once. It wasn't for anything suicidal, just family and grade issues. This was 2 years ago, and I have never had to seek help since. My school said everything was confidential, however I think there may be an exception for the government/military. Should I tell my recruiter about this when I apply? And if I do tell them, will this disqualify me from receiving the scholarship?

Members don't see this ad.

I saw the principal a few times, but it didn't hurt for long. Since you weren't formally treated, I wouldn't worry about it.

My first thought here is that there's more to the story than indicated. I may be wrong. You certainly don't have to discuss it on a public forum.

If you were diagnosed with a mental health issue, and treated for it, then you should disclose that. You should also disclose that it hasn't been an issue for 2 years, and that you (presumably) aren't on medication for it now.

If you just spoke with a therapist a few times 2 years ago, and that was that, then I wouldn't even mention it.

Members don't see this ad :)
My first thought here is that there's more to the story than indicated. I may be wrong. You certainly don't have to discuss it on a public forum.

If you were diagnosed with a mental health issue, and treated for it, then you should disclose that. You should also disclose that it hasn't been an issue for 2 years, and that you (presumably) aren't on medication for it now.

If you just spoke with a therapist a few times 2 years ago, and that was that, then I wouldn't even mention it.
Yeah, I truly only went in once to try it out and didn't like it. I was never diagnosed and I have never been on any sort of medication. However, they do ask if you have "Seen a psychiatrist, psychologist, social worker, counselor or other professional for any reason (inpatient or outpatient) including counseling or treatment for school, adjustment, family, marriage or any other problem, to include depression, or treatment for alcohol, drug or substance abuse." I just want to know if the fact that I went in once to see a school psychologist would disqualify me or raise red flags. I feel that it really shouldn't be a huge issue, but I have also heard that they are very picky.

Yeah, I truly only went in once to try it out and didn't like it. I was never diagnosed and I have never been on any sort of medication. However, they do ask if you have "Seen a psychiatrist, psychologist, social worker, counselor or other professional for any reason (inpatient or outpatient) including counseling or treatment for school, adjustment, family, marriage or any other problem, to include depression, or treatment for alcohol, drug or substance abuse." I just want to know if the fact that I went in once to see a school psychologist would disqualify me or raise red flags. I feel that it really shouldn't be a huge issue, but I have also heard that they are very picky.
I would imagine it would not be a huge issue. One could argue that a single visit isn’t really treatment.

He's right. If you go see the chop doc for a sex change, and decide not to do it, you don't have to get a new driver's license.

Reactions: 1 user

Unless you are hiding something from us...it sounded that you were dealing with stress (but not a formal psych diagnosis) and saw a counselor. Seems like something that more of us should do without threat of repercussions. I wouldn’t mention it

Reactions: 1 user
I would not mention it at all and not give it a second thought.
If you’re feeling bad about that decision you can put it in your application and explain it. I doubt it’s in any way disqualifying as you lack a diagnosis and were never treated for anything. The issue becomes they may choose to make a big deal about nothing, and ask you request copies of your record, etc. creating extra work for you, a possible follow up interview, etc. The .mil does that kind of stuff fairly frequently.

Most likely, you saw a high school/college counselor. A School Psychologist is not the same as a clinical psychologist. Their role is to complete assessments for emotional/behavioral disturbance to include ADHD or conduct issues for IEPs and 504 Plans. Either you haven't given the whole story or you're confusing specialties. I'd caution against using the term "School Psychologist" on your 2807, unless you did see a School Psychologist. It'll raise some serious red flags without context.

Most likely, you saw a high school/college counselor. A School Psychologist is not the same as a clinical psychologist. Their role is to complete assessments for emotional/behavioral disturbance to include ADHD or conduct issues for IEPs and 504 Plans. Either you haven't given the whole story or you're confusing specialties. I'd caution against using the term "School Psychologist" on your 2807, unless you did see a School Psychologist. It'll raise some serious red flags without context.
I saw someone through what my college calls "Counseling and Psychological services." So would you say that I did or did not see a clinical psychologist then? I admit that I could be confusing specialties.

I dunno. Did you see a clinical psychologist? What was their degree?
I've seen some in the hallways before, but I wouldn't claim that on my application.

I saw someone through what my college calls "Counseling and Psychological services." So would you say that I did or did not see a clinical psychologist then? I admit that I could be confusing specialties.
More than likely, you saw a counselor (LPC, hope not) or a clinical psychologist (Ph.D, Psy.D.). Point being, if you choose to disclose and say the word "School"(M.Ed), DoD may assume you have a neurodevelopmental disorder that doesn't meet accession standards. That confusion of specialties may lead to a dark, long rabbit hole that Il Destriero described. I'd just leave it alone.

More than likely, you saw a counselor (LPC, hope not) or a clinical psychologist (Ph.D, Psy.D.). Point being, if you choose to disclose and say the word "School"(M.Ed), DoD may assume you have a neurodevelopmental disorder that doesn't meet accession standards. That confusion of specialties may lead to a dark, long rabbit hole that Il Destriero described. I'd just leave it alone.
That makes sense, thank you! So would you say that I am better off not disclosing? And if I choose not to disclose, is there any way they would find out? Like is there a chance that they would contact my school or something? I would really like to avoid a messy situation.