Once More, With Feeling - Reapp Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tianar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there everyone! I'm just looking for a little advice for this cycle and would truly appreciate some feedback.

I applied in the 2011 cycle and got waitlisted at Jefferson. Delaware resident, no interviews elsewhere. Jeff is still my number one choice. So in the interim I have attempted to address what they saw as my major weakness - clinical experience and exposure to the career. Since that application cycle I have graduated college with honors in May 2011 and gotten a job managing a large family practice. I oversee a staff of 9 and coordinate administrative and clinical support for 4 providers (two docs, two PAs). This has given me a lot of patient contact in a primary care setting and a LOT of shadowing experience. I am able to interact with patients every single day and I have been given some really great insight on just how much it takes to be a primary care provider.

Additionally, I have volunteered once a week (3 hrs every Sunday) at the local children's hospital since the summer of 2011. I play games and do arts and crafts with patients and their siblings. This requires a knowledge of constructive play and socialization for a wide spectrum of ages and developmental levels.

Other volunteer activities include constructing and painting sets, as well as acting and helping with hospitality (not to mention babysitting the Munchkins!) at several local community theaters.

I have also added Osteopathic schools to my list this time around! I shadowed a couple of DOs, one of which wrote me a rec letter.

I have combed through the MSAR to try and find the best matches for my numbers while staying away from the state schools. I'm not in state anywhere but Jefferson (weird Delaware rules). I'm not familiar with some of the schools though, so if you see anything odd on my list, please let me know!

GPA: 3.55
Science GPA: 3.45
MCAT: 29

Schools:
JEFFERSON
Albany
Cooper
Drexel
GWU
Hofstra
Marshall University Edwards SOM
Morehouse
NY Medical College
Oakland University William Beaumont SOM
OSHU
Rush
St. Louis University Medical School
Temple
Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown
University of Miami Leonard Miller SOM
Rochester
VCU
VCOM
Virginia Tech Carillon
PCOM
PCOM- GA
UMDNJCOM
NYCOM

Please, take a look at my list and let me know what you think! I appreciate the help, guys.

Members don't see this ad.

You might want to remove Marshall - they are not very OOS friendly.
Maybe add Penn State? It's technically not a state school and accepts a good number of OOS students.

Ah, will do then! You can't always tell these things from MSAR. :)

I think Penn State has a behavioral health requirement that I don't satisfy. :/ They were on my list until I realized that.

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad :)
See my school-specific comments in red.
Hey there everyone! I'm just looking for a little advice for this cycle and would truly appreciate some feedback.

I applied in the 2011 cycle and got waitlisted at Jefferson. Delaware resident, no interviews elsewhere. Jeff is still my number one choice. So in the interim I have attempted to address what they saw as my major weakness - clinical experience and exposure to the career. Since that application cycle I have graduated college with honors in May 2011 and gotten a job managing a large family practice. I oversee a staff of 9 and coordinate administrative and clinical support for 4 providers (two docs, two PAs). This has given me a lot of patient contact in a primary care setting and a LOT of shadowing experience. I am able to interact with patients every single day and I have been given some really great insight on just how much it takes to be a primary care provider.

Additionally, I have volunteered once a week (3 hrs every Sunday) at the local children's hospital since the summer of 2011. I play games and do arts and crafts with patients and their siblings. This requires a knowledge of constructive play and socialization for a wide spectrum of ages and developmental levels.

Other volunteer activities include constructing and painting sets, as well as acting and helping with hospitality (not to mention babysitting the Munchkins!) at several local community theaters.

I have also added Osteopathic schools to my list this time around! I shadowed a couple of DOs, one of which wrote me a rec letter.

I have combed through the MSAR to try and find the best matches for my numbers while staying away from the state schools. I'm not in state anywhere but Jefferson (weird Delaware rules). I'm not familiar with some of the schools though, so if you see anything odd on my list, please let me know!

GPA: 3.55
Science GPA: 3.45
MCAT: 29

Schools:
JEFFERSON
Albany
Cooper
Drexel
GWU
Hofstra
Marshall University Edwards SOM-don't bother, as you're not from an adjacent state.
Morehouse-will expect to see extensive service to the poor in your ECs.
NY Medical College
OSHU-you don't meet their minimum cutoffs for OOSers.
Rush
St. Louis University Medical School-reachy for you.
Temple
Rochester
VCU
VCOM
Virginia Tech Carillon-research-oriented, so hopefully, you have plenty.
PCOM
PCOM- GA
UMDNJCOM
NYCOM
If you're willing to go to the Chicago area, consider adding RFU.
You might reconsider state schools that have more than 15% OOS matriculants.

Please, take a look at my list and let me know what you think! I appreciate the help, guys.

Thanks for the advice! I wasn't sure about Marshall at ALL, so that is really helpful. Any particular state schools you would recommend??

Thanks! Will check them out! The help is very much appreciated. In your opinion what would be a good number of schools to apply to? Since I am employed, I do have a little cash to throw at this. I'm paying off student loans, so I don't feel the need to APPLY TO ALL OF THE SCHOOLS, but I do want to get a decently wide range to improve my chances of acceptance. Part of my issue the first app cycle was a too limited school list.

UPDATED LIST:
JEFFERSON
Albany
Cooper
Drexel
GWU
Hofstra
NY Medical College
Rush
St. Louis University Medical School
Temple
Rochester
VCU
Wright
Rosalind Franklin
Louisville
VCOM
PCOM
PCOM- GA
UMDNJCOM
NYCOM

remove Brown. Your stats are not in range and they take a majority of their class from their masters and feeder programs.

Gotcha! That was another one I didn't know about, so the advice is definitely appreciated! (also your avatar is ADORABLE.)