Once upon a time......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corisa

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Once upon a time there was a girl who wanted to go to medical school very badly. She worked hard during college and studied like mad for the MCAT. The first time she took the MCAT she got a 20 cummulative. The second time wasn't much better with a 25, considering her GPA was around 3.60. But the girl still held hope that medical school was where she wanted to be. So she applied to 12 schools, and got rejected from 11 with one interview at her state school. Four days after her interview, out of nowhere the admissions lady called and told her that she was accepted. So now she is finishing her M1 year and doing quite remarkably for what her test scores predicted. Granted, it's not Harvard or any top school for that matter, and she's not going to get into a neurosurgery residency, but she's happy. She'll probably end up as a family doc in a small town doing her best. She's living her dream and happy with her choices.

Why did I tell this true story? This was for all of the premeds out there that think they won't get into school, or that it isn't worth the heartache.
I read the posts on this board a lot when I am taking study breaks. I just thought I'd share my own story.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking a break as I speak. I ran to taco bell and got some taco's...Wow, was I starving or what!! Carisa, that was a very good story. I'm Premed, a sophomore at NCState University. A lot of my premed friends, including myself, have a fear of not getting into med school. We work our butts off, spend time doing extracirruculars that make us and others happy, stuff that we enjoy doing. We feel that if we don't get into med school, what are we going to do?? Well I've thought and told them..that if our hearts are filled with passion...if medicine is truly what we want to do...to help people...to make a difference..then we will get in..we will accomplish our dreams!! As for now i'll be entering my junior year and preparing for the MCATs...what fun!!
redface.gif
) Well thanks again for your story and I will pass it along to my friends!!
THanks, K

Members don't see this ad :)
Corisa -- Thank you for sharing your story. I would add, however, there are a lots of people with a similar story but a very different ending. I am one of those and it has been incredibly frustrating and disappointing to know that my dream of being a doctor is at least on hold until I can apply again (and take the MCAT again since my scores expired
frown.gif
!) For all of us who have not met lady luck this go round, there's always next year. I think there is definitely something to say about perserverance!

I agree with the above poster that the story could have turned out totally different. I know that I was not a very competitive candidate and that I'm lucky to be here. What I meant by the post was to show an example of how someone without super scores can be successful, especially with the MCAT coming up this month. So many times when I read all of these bulletin boards, the people applying seem larger than life. They seem like these perfect people with perfect grades that have all this life experience and clinical backgrounds. I'm surrounded by these people everyday, and they are going to make wonderful physicians. But there are people like me in my class as well. People who know they have been given an amazing opportunity, and are greatful for it. I have so much respect for those people that apply numerous times. Just keep the faith premeds!

Corisa -- In no way did I mean to undermine your story. I think it is great that you got in and I am glad to hear that you agree with my sentinent -- that getting accepting to medical school is a privilege, just as helping patients will be. It would be reassuring to hear more stories like yours, as well as stories from people who perservered through this grueling process!

Thanks for sharing your story...

unfortunately it can't help me in my quest to survive the MCAT AND final exams the next three weeks (yes, here in Canada, we have finals starting next week, running till the end of April) I think I'll need more than an inspirational story to lift my spirits...

hi,
What med school did you get into?

Corisa: Thank you VERY much for your story, it really gives me hope. It is very inspirational for me because I have had some hard times, and while my grades are quite good, I am truly worried about my MCAT. Thanks again. It made all the difference in my day.