Once you get to the interview, what is the most common cause of rejection?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tonguetalker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Of course medical schools interview more students than they can accept but I would think that they have some interest in all the students that they interview. What then makes them outright reject some as opposed to acceptance or waitlist? Is it that they are boring in person or perhaps do not fit with the mission of the school? Any thoughts on this at all?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

having this -> Asperger syndrome (AS), also known as Asperger's syndrome or Asperger disorder, is an autism spectrum disorder (ASD) that is characterized by significant difficulties in social interaction, alongside restricted and repetitive patterns of behavior and interests.

Or something to that extend.

Many factors. Like didn't convey enough passion to pursue medicine..

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course medical schools interview more students than they can accept but I would think that they have some interest in all the students that they interview. What then makes them outright reject some as opposed to acceptance or waitlist? Is it that they are boring in person or perhaps do not fit with the mission of the school? Any thoughts on this at all?

Thanks
Arrogance, rudeness, bitterness, extreme shyness, and/or inability to interact normally.

I'm curious about this too. Say I get an interview and then afterwards they "discuss" my qualifications. Will they pull in my MCAT/GPA and compare it to other interviewees? Or am I already on equal footing with the other interviewees with respect to numbers?

I'm curious about this too. Say I get an interview and then afterwards they "discuss" my qualifications. Will they pull in my MCAT/GPA and compare it to other interviewees? Or am I already on equal footing with the other interviewees with respect to numbers?

I interviewed at a school this past week and they told us that we get an "interview score" for how well we did during our interview, and that is just added to our file along with the rest of our application, which all together gets evaluated by the committee. I'm not sure if this is the same for every school, but this is how they explained it to us for that school.

In my experience, the committee re-evaluates everything.

Being weird, inarticulate, anti-social, excessively nervous, arrogant, or mean. Having a horrible accent. Not being confident or, alternatively, not being confident in your lies.

Too many qualified applicants.

This really is the problem. Despite people bashing on pre-meds generally and thinking they're all anti-social/weird/whatever, an overwhelming majority of applicants do well on the interview. It ultimately comes down to small, qualitative things: your disposition, your demeanor, your interests/goals and how those align with those of the institution, among other things. For most people, "being weird" isn't a problem.

This really is the problem. Despite people bashing on pre-meds generally and thinking they're all anti-social/weird/whatever, an overwhelming majority of applicants do well on the interview. It ultimately comes down to small, qualitative things: your disposition, your demeanor, your interests/goals and how those align with those of the institution, among other things. For most people, "being weird" isn't a problem.

Yes, but the question was not failure to accept (which is common) but rather, rreasons for outright rejection after interview (which is rare).

Yes, but the question was not failure to accept (which is common) but rather, rreasons for outright rejection after interview (which is rare).

Then it's the obvious: have no social skills, be abrasive, don't communicate well, make people feel uncomfortable, give off the impression that you don't know much about medicine, etc.. Huge errors basically.

(sent from my phone)

You need to be able to hold a normal conversation. Adcom members should be able to say "I'd love to have daily conversations with him for the next 4 years" after the interview, so act accordingly.

You need to be able to hold a normal conversation. Adcom members should be able to say "I'd love to have daily conversations with him for the next 4 years" after the interview, so act accordingly.

I would say that any conversation that gets someone to say "I'd love to have daily conversations with him for the next 4 years" is most definitely not a normal conversation.

To me it seems that having a normal conversation is a good first step, but a truly good interview is built on a lot of practice and effort that is (very well) hidden under the surface. In other words, a good interview feels like a normal conversation to the interviewer, but the interviee knows just how rehearsed it really is.

Members don't see this ad :)
In addition to what was already said above, if you're ever caught lying, consider that game over.

School-dependent. Some do it one way, some do the other way. (Majority are your first situation).

Well, if that's the case, I won't be getting in anywhere. I had my first interview a few weeks back...when the train went off the tracks, so to speak, I floundered. I probably came off as shy and timid, and the dude was probably thinking "reject fo sho."

At my first interview everyone was actually extremely social. The only thing I could see hurting people in that group is arrogance.

How to win friends and influence people - Dale Carnegie

At my first interview everyone was actually extremely social. The only thing I could see hurting people in that group is arrogance.

Yeah. I would say most people have some pride/hubris, but most are also aware enough to keep it hidden. However there are a surprisingly large number of people that exude arrogance during the interview process. There aren't a ton, but more than I would expect.

(sent from my phone)

Yeah. I would say most people have some pride/hubris, but most are also aware enough to keep it hidden. However there are a surprisingly large number of people that exude arrogance during the interview process. There aren't a ton, but more than I would expect.

(sent from my phone)

It tends to come out later in the year by people who show up with the attitude, "I've already been admitted to a higher ranked school but I'll come here if you offer me a full scholarship -- and you should because I'm so much better than your average student."

There are also the 1-2% of applicants who are just crazy and the 2-3% who don't come across as interested in medicine. There are also the rude and mean... I've seen applicants rejected due to rude behavior toward the receptionist or other members of the office staff.

:confused:
It tends to come out later in the year by people who show up with the attitude, "I've already been admitted to a higher ranked school but I'll come here if you offer me a full scholarship -- and you should because I'm so much better than your average student."

There are also the 1-2% of applicants who are just crazy and the 2-3% who don't come across as interested in medicine. There are also the rude and mean... I've seen applicants rejected due to rude behavior toward the receptionist or other members of the office staff.

:confused: I really don't understand why anyone hoping to get into a medical school would do some of these things ...

Probably true. I will freely admit that I was much more relaxed during interviews following my first acceptance (interestingly enough, got waitlisted at all schools I interviewed at after 10/15 - hah!), but allowing that to become arrogance is ridiculous.

(sent from my phone)

Being weird, inarticulate, anti-social, excessively nervous, arrogant, or mean...

As suggested above, all of these are bad, but are extremely rare, and thus not really the answer to OPs question. Most premeds are able to hold things together for a couple of half hour interview slots. The majority of folks that get rejected tend to be folks that simply don't do a good job of selling themselves and are too passive. There is an attitude among some premeds that the interview is "just a formality", and that their paper application is the whole ballgame. Some people really think interviews are there to weed out the "crazies", but truthfully whole admission seasons can go by for some interviewers without seeing a "crazy". Hate to break it to you, but the med school interview hugely important. At some places its the whole ballgame if you get that far, at others its the 600 lb gorilla that can undo all of your hard work and stellar scores. Nobody cares if you got a 4.0/40 if you don't put on a good showing in person. Medicine is about interpersonal interactions more than anything else, and so most places put huge weight on a good showing, and will accept the 3.5/35 over your 4.0/40 every time if that lower scorer knows how to charm. So when a school interviews 2-3 times as many people as slots, that really does mean your interview has to go better than a half to two thirds of the other people they see, or you will at best end up on the wait list. that means you need to show up prepared, have practiced, have good answers to anticipated questions and good questions to keep the conversation going and show interest. It often doesn't hurt to have your least important interview first, as a dress rehearsal. Never count on others having no social skills, being arrogant, or crazy and opening the door for you -- they by and large won't. You just have to be personable, interested, engaging, and prepared. It's a marketing meeting, and you are your product, your CV is your brochure. Sell yourself. Not in an abrasive used car salesman way, but never take the approach that your App will do all the selling for you, because there are a lot of equivalent products out there, each with a slightly different set of bells and whistles.

The interviewer looks deep into your soul and discerns that you are not a worthwhile human being. You are just wasting space on this earth, inadequate and small. Other applicants are far superior to you. There is nothing you can do about your worthless state of being.

Some of interviewers like to toy with you and will put you on a mystical "wait list", but you know that means the same thing as rejection.

Or is that just how it feels?

I think it's really important to write down some things that you need to convey during the interview. These things are traits that make you a good doctor, reasons why you think medicine is right for you, and why you think you can make it through medical school. All of these should be substantiated by an a story from your activities. Work these things and stories into all of your answers. This makes it alot easier to have an interesting interview and still sell yourself.

I think it's really important to write down some things that you need to convey during the interview. These things are traits that make you a good doctor, reasons why you think medicine is right for you, and why you think you can make it through medical school. All of these should be substantiated by an a story from your activities. Work these things and stories into all of your answers. This makes it alot easier to have an interesting interview and still sell yourself.

Yup.

(sent from my phone)

'Tis true that some schools reject a very, very small proportion (the truly crazy) and bury the rest on the waitlist. I think that rejection is more compassionate than waitlisting so very many for so few waitlist spots but others disagree and feel that it is important to convey "There isn't anything wrong with you, we just don't have enough slots."

'Tis true that some schools reject a very, very small proportion (the truly crazy) and bury the rest on the waitlist. I think that rejection is more compassionate than waitlisting so very many for so few waitlist spots but others disagree and feel that it is important to convey "There isn't anything wrong with you, we just don't have enough slots."

This is probably the most frustrating part of the process. I think it's extremely absurd that schools waitlist hundreds of applicants, the majority of which have zero chance of ever getting accepted. It's a CYA maneuver on the part of the schools that can drastically change an applicant's plans for the following cycle. I do wish schools were more frank about letting people know where they stand.

(sent from my phone)

I think it's really important to write down some things that you need to convey during the interview. These things are traits that make you a good doctor, reasons why you think medicine is right for you, and why you think you can make it through medical school.All of these should be substantiated by an a story from your activities. Work these things and stories into all of your answers. This makes it alot easier to have an interesting interview and still sell yourself.

Best advice I've found anywhere. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user

If only they knew that false hope is far worse than outright rejection.

No one mentioned cologne/perfume.
I'm sure there are plenty of rejects based upon immediate impressions made by walking in the door.

Also playing game boy while waiting to be called in might be a reason to be rejected.

So true. It is interesting to watch how some kids transform from "I would be soooo happy to get just one acceptance" in the Fall to "psssh I'm definitely too good for XXXX" at the end of the application cycle.

Thanks

Simply put, other applicants who are more competitive. Most aren't booted for a bad interview...

:confused: I really don't understand why anyone hoping to get into a medical school would do some of these things ...

An adcom at my school likes to tell the story about an applicant who was rude to a janitor during the tour on interview day. The student giving the tour reported it, and the applicant was rejected. Some people just lack tact/are really arrogant, it's not that surprising, and they'll get weeded out unless they're REALLY good about covering it up on interview day

No one mentioned cologne/perfume.
I'm sure there are plenty of rejects based upon immediate impressions made by walking in the door.

You think that's going to get someone rejected? Sheesh.

Too many qualified applicants. End of story.

What happens after the interview? Do they just meet and chat about your application, or does the interview (after it happens) dictate what comes next?

What happens after the interview? Do they just meet and chat about your application, or does the interview (after it happens) dictate what comes next?

From what I've been told either:
1) The interviewer writes up a page about you and gives it to the committee who then decide whether or not to accept you

2) The interviewer shows up to the committee meeting and defends you in front of the ad com.

It might vary from school to school, but this is based on what the various deans have explained to us during interview days. Hopefully someone with first hand knowledge can come share their wisdom.

From what I've been told either:
1) The interviewer writes up a page about you and gives it to the committee who then decide whether or not to accept you

2) The interviewer shows up to the committee meeting and defends you in front of the ad com.

It might vary from school to school, but this is based on what the various deans have explained to us during interview days. Hopefully someone with first hand knowledge can come share their wisdom.

What I gathered from MMIs was that they would give you a score and somehow your MMI score plus your applications score would be totaled to figure out an overall score. But it makes me wonder if they will re-review or re-discuss, because otherwise it doesn't seem like it would need to be a multi-week process.

What I gathered from MMIs was that they would give you a score and somehow your MMI score plus your applications score would be totaled to figure out an overall score. But it makes me wonder if they will re-review or re-discuss, because otherwise it doesn't seem like it would need to be a multi-week process.

Sorry, I was referring to traditional interviews. I haven't had a MMI yet so I wouldn't know.

So if on your interview, the interview makes a comment such as "we need more people like you" or "this school is full of wonderful people and you are a wonderful person", does that mean you are more likely to be accepted or does the comment mean nothing?

So if on your interview, the interview makes a comment such as "we need more people like you" or "this school is full of wonderful people and you are a wonderful person", does that mean you are more likely to be accepted or does the comment mean nothing?

I think it depends on the school. At some schools, the interviewers simply write a report. At n others, the interview evaluations are a big chunk of your application. At the end of the day, it's still very likely that there are far too many qualified applicants and you are passed over. I wouldn't read too much into it, but it's definitely not a bad thing if you hear these things.

Last edited:

For what it's worth my interviewer said I'd be a great fit and welcome addition to the school, but I ended up wait listed :( Like the above poster said, don't get your hopes up too high! It's definitely a good thing, but it's not entirely in the interviewers hands.

I'm thinking if it's a score based system then everybody should have the same general baseline score right if you qualified for the interview. Point being, once you make it to the interview, the point differential is so miniscule that the interview becomes the single biggest facet of your application if you make it there.

Or am I thinking incorrectly about this???

I'm thinking if it's a score based system then everybody should have the same general baseline score right if you qualified for the interview. Point being, once you make it to the interview, the point differential is so miniscule that the interview becomes the single biggest facet of your application if you make it there.

Or am I thinking incorrectly about this???

I don't think that's quite right.

Your MCAT and GPA may not count as much, but everything else is reviewed. Several schools have said that the interview is only one part of your application. Take Tots, for example, I am sure he is an awesome person, but I doubt it is just his awesome interview skills/personality that is getting him far more acceptances than the average applicant. Most people I have met have had very good social skills and are very friendly in person. I think, for many of us then, it will fall back down to our overall application. The interview really cannot add that much more information (some will disagree with me here). And despite the premed stereotype, most people have been quite socially capable.