Once you're in.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Falokis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine got into medical school and he told me that was the hardest part. He said once you are in, they do everything they can to keep you there. He didn't mean, that you can just cruise through it. He just meant if you are trying, the profs do everything they can to get you threw it. He said to fail/wash out you really had to not try. I was wondering if pharmacy school is the same way? Is getting in the hardest part?

Members don't see this ad.

yes it would be the same, b/c people fail out due to academic reasons reflect badly upon the college, it sours their reputation as a college and they lose alot of $$$$$$.....if you fail out after the first year, the college in essence will loose 3 years of income from that 1 student with fixed costs...its a major negative for the school....

Pharmacy schools also have great academic support programs and many schools have mandated tutoring services (some of which are free) if your grade in a class drops below a certain point. I haven't heard anything about profs doing everything they can to get anyone to pass, but I know that a particular pharmacy school doesn't want to have a relatively high failure rate and/or find out that they made a mistake on an applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pharmacy schools also have great academic support programs and many schools have mandated tutoring services (some of which are free) if your grade in a class drops below a certain point. I haven't heard anything about profs doing everything they can to get anyone to pass, but I know that a particular pharmacy school doesn't want to have a relatively high failure rate and/or find out that they made a mistake on an applicant.

This is very true. Now that's not to say people don't fail. There's a thread somewhere around here (rather recent) on attrition rates in pharmacy school. Some schools have worse records than others. Not everyone who drops out is for academic reasons though so the numbers include dropouts for health/change of profession/etc.

I'd agree - its in the school's interest to keep you in & doing well.

So true. I have a friend in DO school right now and she is barely scraping by - failing all classes. They let her retake her finals and are allowing her to take an extra year to complete the coursework! Now I know schools don't want to look bad b/c students failed out, and they don't want to lose that money, but come on, are those the kind of people that you really want to have treating you in a medical emergency or filling your prescriptions? I think schools also need to think about who they are sending out into the world to be responsible for people - but I suppose it will show in the licensing exams, so there is some reprieve.

whats the GPA required by most schools when you're already in the pharmacy program?

The GPA required to stay in the program varies, typically your required to maintain somewhere between a 2.0 and a 3.0.