Quitting CVS once accepted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

8turkeys

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have worked at CVS for about a year now and I feel like I have reached my breaking point. Work is so stressful (25hrs per week and extremely short staffed)that it has impacted my schooling and mental health. I have now been accepted to pharm school and want to know if it would be "burning a bridge" with them if I put my notice in. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have worked at CVS for about a year now and I feel like I have reached my breaking point. Work is so stressful (25hrs per week and extremely short staffed)that it has impacted my schooling and mental health. I have now been accepted to pharm school and want to know if it would be "burning a bridge" with them if I put my notice in. Thanks!

Time to work as an intern, not quit.

Reactions: 1 user
You can't work as an intern until you are actually in pharmacy school. But the choice is yours. Do you plan on working your 1st year of pharmacy school? If not, then you would have to put in your notice eventually. I work at CVS so I understand the stress of the job. If you feel that it is beneficial for your mental health and schooling to take a break or put in your notice do what is best for you! I don't think you would burn any bridges. If anything, CVS will appreciate that you understand their system when you do start applying for internships in pharmacy school.

Members don't see this ad :)
8turkeys, I'm in the same boat as you. I've worked at cvs for almost two years now and as a part time employee they've been assigning me 25+ hours on top of my full time school and internship. It's been very rough and beyond stressful. I was going to quit asap. After receiving pharmacy school acceptance letters however, I told them I need to leave and no longer have the time to work and they begged me to stay until pharmacy school began. I personally decided to stay on the job to make some bucks but now work only one or two days a week until I graduate, and will leave the job if they increase my hours.

You are a priority.
Don't let the job interfere with your school or health. Cvs can make the job unnecessarily stressful at times. You won't be burning any bridges. If anything, as soon as you complete pharmacy school, they'll be more than happy to take you back in as their pharmacist. They'll always want you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Where is your pharmacy school? Is it in another state?

what happens when you get a JOB as a PHARMACIST @ CVS ?? you will just quit ?

Haha I worried about the same thing. Quit a job as a pharm tech at WAGS because they kept trying to give me 30+ hours when I told them I only wanted part time when I applied. Worst comes to work I guess i'll work for CVS lol!!

Those retail pharm tech jobs are stressful. I work at a community pharm as a admin. I just recently quit after being accepted to pharm school. they asked me in the future to be on call because they want me to train future admins. during my time I recover over half a million of lost unpaid prescriptions. 90% of the stuff I do the management and administrative team do not know how to do. it was also stressfull. I'd say if you don't plan on working at a retail setting in the future then it is fine. if retail is only thing you like to do then don't burn your network bridges.

Yeah and there isn't a CVS even near my school. Closest one is an hour away.

You will not be burning a bridge by informing them you are moving on for schooling. In fact, they may even try to arrange your future career for you.

Don't do it. Just transfer to a different chain or to another CVS. There's a whole lot to think about, like what your amount of time with the company will mean for you when you're in Pharmacy School and when you get out.

Thanks for everyones advice, I ultimately decided to put my notice in. Long-term I could not see myself with this company and even if there is a chance of burning bridges it won't matter. Learned a lot about myself working there, and where I see myself within the profession in the future.

Thanks for everyones advice, I ultimately decided to put my notice in. Long-term I could not see myself with this company and even if there is a chance of burning bridges it won't matter. Learned a lot about myself working there, and where I see myself within the profession in the future.

Trust me, as long as you did it without getting emotional or making personal attacks, it's completely understandable. #1 you're moving out of state, and #2 you're going to be busy as a student. Not reasons that would give someone the desire to heckle you with.