Oncologist and Med Onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

triplerox

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a difference between an oncologist and medical oncologist? If so, how are they different?

Members don't see this ad.

Not a difference in the way you are most likely using the terms.

However, oncologist can be used to refer to a surgical oncologist, a radiation oncologist, etc. You get the idea. But in your instance medical oncologist = oncologist

ah i see. thanks for the clarification

OP: Are you my mother? ;)

My family cannot get this distinction down, despite years of my training, so the confusion is commonplace. I'm convinced that the majority of my mother's acquaintances think I'm a medical oncologist.

I spend a few minutes with my new diagnosis patients explaining that they will have a surgical oncologist, radiation oncologist and a medical oncologist as part of their medical team.

OP: Are you my mother? ;)

My family cannot get this distinction down, despite years of my training, so the confusion is commonplace. I'm convinced that the majority of my mother's acquaintances think I'm a medical oncologist.

I spend a few minutes with my new diagnosis patients explaining that they will have a surgical oncologist, radiation oncologist and a medical oncologist as part of their medical team.

I feel your pain. Everyone thinks I'm a radiologist (rather than a radiation oncologist).