Oncology boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oncodoc21

Reaction score
Took oncology boards a few weeks ago and for some reason I’m anxious about whether I passed. I have done extremely well on boards in the past. Those exams are always tough but this time my anxiety level is through the roof. I’m afraid I’m going to fail and lose my job.

I probably was 100% sure about 60-70% of questions. 75% sure about another 5-10% and unsure about 20-25%. Only a few questions where I just had no idea.

Anyone else who took the exam, how did you feel? We are all in the same boat but would help to hear other perspectives.

Members don't see this ad.

Took oncology boards a few weeks ago and for some reason I’m anxious about whether I passed. I have done extremely well on boards in the past. Those exams are always tough but this time my anxiety level is through the roof. I’m afraid I’m going to fail and lose my job.

I probably was 100% sure about 60-70% of questions. 75% sure about another 5-10% and unsure about 20-25%. Only a few questions where I just had no idea.

Anyone else who took the exam, how did you feel? We are all in the same boat but would help to hear other perspectives.

I felt the same way, and the waiting for your score is the worst part! Any idea when our results will likely come in? I've heard in the past they're released in mid-to-late December? (even though officially on the website it says up to 3 months)

Yes I feel the same way after the exam I was having ptsd from. The questions, I was going back and forth about them. I am still thinking about whether I passed or not. The only thing that gives me A little relief is the pass rate which based on the abim website I think it was like 91 to 93 ‰......

Members don't see this ad :)

Dude I felt 100% confident on waaaaay less than half of the total questions. I’m terrified of failing.

Dude I felt 100% confident on waaaaay less than half of the total questions. I’m terrified of failing.
Allot of questions have to be experimental. Even looking at NCCN guidelines and ASCO (for questions I remember) there was no clear answer. Some questions had two category 1 treatment options or two treatment options that are both perfectly reasonable.

Reactions: 1 user
Still waiting.... most of the other specialties got their results within 4 weeks

Phew, passed
Congrats! Also passed, and then had a mini freakout when I clicked the Hematology Certification and saw something other than "Pass"

I'm guessing heme will be back soon, though

Congrats! Also passed, and then had a mini freakout when I clicked the Hematology Certification and saw something other than "Pass"

I'm guessing heme will be back soon, though
Passed as well. Congrats everyone! In any other specialty we would call it a night and not have to click on an ABIM site for the next 10 years. One to go

My wife just found out she failed the oncology boards. She graduated in 2020 but deferred to this year due to COVID concerns at the test site last year. She is seriously the smartest doctor I know and I can't believe she failed.

She tells me she got 60 wrong out of 240 questions. What was the cutoff? What percentage of first time test takers pass? In my boards (psychiatry) 91% of first time takers pass, and I barely studied and am not nearly as intelligent as her, and come from a much less prestigious training institution and I passed no problem, so I convinced her she did not need to worry but she still studied for months. Is there any worth in trying to get the test rescored?

My wife just found out she failed the oncology boards. She graduated in 2020 but deferred to this year due to COVID concerns at the test site last year. She is seriously the smartest doctor I know and I can't believe she failed.

She tells me she got 60 wrong out of 240 questions. What was the cutoff? What percentage of first time test takers pass? In my boards (psychiatry) 91% of first time takers pass, and I barely studied and am not nearly as intelligent as her, and come from a much less prestigious training institution and I passed no problem, so I convinced her she did not need to worry but she still studied for months. Is there any worth in trying to get the test rescored?
Sorry to hear this. Boards have nothing to do with clinical skill. Last few years 91-94% of first time takers passed. If I were in her position and thought I did well and failed, I would ask for a rescore with the understanding it’s likely not going to help. But even if small chance of an error is worth the money not to have to retake next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where are these heme scores, this is driving me nuts!! I did not feel confident about this exam at all

Where are these heme scores, this is driving me nuts!! I did not feel confident about this exam at all
I agree my friend
The exam was so difficult to me
I took both Onc and heme - Onc was very reasonable exam but heme was very very tough

What is so weird is usually both exam results come out at the same time- this year Onc results were released on Thursday, and yet, heme is not out yet ?????

Sorry to hear this. If I recall correctly I comfortably passed and on the feedback section it was more than 50 points but less than 60. Do you remember how close her number was to the failing score? Remember also there are experimental questions so perhaps she had the bad luck of getting all the experimental ones right but not enough on the ones that "count."

this is very frustrating. why the agonizingly long wait?

Got heme results just now - I actually got pretty nervous as I was clicking through, but passed!

In case anyone is wondering if it is possible to miss probably every single question about Hemoglobinopathies and still pass: Yes.

Unfortunately, I actually studied / tried to prepare for them, too...

Reactions: 1 users
Passed! Transfusion medicine was my strongest and hematopoietic systems weakest. I know for a fact that clinically I suck at transfusion med and can give chalk talks to residents on hematopoiesis on the spot. So this exam is a joke