Oncology nurse practitioners role?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

citizenbang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what oncology nurse practitioners do and how they fit into oncology practices. I hear of some oncologists seeing 40 patients a day in the outpatient. I was wondering, why not hire a PA or NP to do that for him? Are those side effect checks really too complicated for a PA or NP? Anyone have any experience in this area?

Members don't see this ad.

there are pa and np heme-onc folks out there. it's a slow but growing field for adv. practice clinicians, like nephrology.

there are pa and np heme-onc folks out there. it's a slow but growing field for adv. practice clinicians, like nephrology.

But what exactly do they do? Can they prescribe chemo? diagnose? or do they just check side effects?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering what oncology nurse practitioners do and how they fit into oncology practices. I hear of some oncologists seeing 40 patients a day in the outpatient. I was wondering, why not hire a PA or NP to do that for him? Are those side effect checks really too complicated for a PA or NP? Anyone have any experience in this area?

From my experience, there is very little independence for an NP/PA in oncology. They act basically as a resident

From my experience, there is very little independence for an NP/PA in oncology. They act basically as a resident

Do they significantly increase the efficiency of the oncologist physician (eg. allow him to see 50 patients a day instead of 30)?

You think there is ANY chance they can push for independence the way Psych NPs and Family NPs have?

Do they significantly increase the efficiency of the oncologist physician (eg. allow him to see 50 patients a day instead of 30)?

You think there is ANY chance they can push for independence the way Psych NPs and Family NPs have?

They do increase the efficiency of oncologists and also help provide better care. They help with closer follow up and symptomatic management.

An NP would be a fool to go into independent practice. The knowledge base is just too high for an NP to go into independent practice and they don't have training programs. Plus, you'd be a fool as a patient to opt for an NP rather than a BC oncologist.

But what exactly do they do? Can they prescribe chemo? diagnose? or do they just check side effects?

Where I work, the PA manages ongoing chemo and sees pts. for follow up. He doesn't see new pts. We sometimes use the PA for emergencies, but if the attending is in the office, we'll go to the doc first.

Where I work, the PA manages ongoing chemo and sees pts. for follow up. He doesn't see new pts. We sometimes use the PA for emergencies, but if the attending is in the office, we'll go to the doc first.

Any chance you think an NP (who lets say knows as much as the PA you are talking about) can strike out on their own with their own clinic?

Once you decide which protocol a patient gets started on, chemo is cook-book stuff that a monkey could look up. Most places use computer algorithms to actually set the doses.

The key decision making point is which chemo protocol the patients get started on, and that is ALWAYS decided by an oncologist. The PA/NP does LP/bone marrows and sees follow-up patients. They dont see new patients or decide which chemo protocol somebody gets put on.

Any chance you think an NP (who lets say knows as much as the PA you are talking about) can strike out on their own with their own clinic?

I certainly hope not.

Mid-levels shouldn't be independent practitioners, NP/PA.

sorry to be blunt, but absolutely not. that would be pretty much criminal.

The key decision making point is which chemo protocol the patients get started on, and that is ALWAYS decided by an oncologist. The PA/NP does LP/bone marrows and sees follow-up patients. They dont see new patients or decide which chemo protocol somebody gets put on.

that's pretty accurate from my experience. md anderson is one of the top employers of PAs in the country (>150), and i think many are used like that.

Socrates25, what's up with your signature. i'm no enemy - i want to be your friend :)

I work at one of the aforementioned places. NPs and PAs are used in the outpatient setting to see follow up patients and do procedures. PAs are used in the inpatient setting to take care of pts admitted for onc complications/emergencies and for inpt chemo, BMT.