Oncology Pharmacist Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baronzb

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an oncology interview in a rural infusion center; however, I do not have any background in this pharmacy type of work and could really use some feedback on interview questions, what to expect, and how to learn.

Members don't see this ad.

I have an oncology interview in a rural infusion center; however, I do not have any background in this pharmacy type of work and could really use some feedback on interview questions, what to expect, and how to learn.

Not trying to be a jerk here but why on earth would you apply for such a specialized area of pharmacy having absolutely no experience at all?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Not trying to be a jerk here but why on earth would you apply for such a specialized area of pharmacy having absolutely no experience at all?

I have an interest in it. And I need to be in the area. It is very rural here. Any helpful suggestions?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an interest in it. And I need to be in the area. It is very rural here. Any helpful suggestions?
If they ask a clinical question, read up on the NCCN guidelines prior to the interview.

If they ask a clinical question, read up on the NCCN guidelines prior to the interview.
I checked it out. Like many guidelines that are obscure, it's heavy on the science and methodology but poor on actual advice for appication. Unlike HTN, there seems to be no "express" model. Additionally, what exactly are people in a small facility in a rural area doing--is the pharmacist making the drugs and ordering all of them? There won't be any rounding, but how much input is the MD looking for? What does the tech do in this setting?
And is there any practical and applicable information on there on practice? Would looking for MD materials be more productive?

I checked it out. Like many guidelines that are obscure, it's heavy on the science and methodology but poor on actual advice for appication. Unlike HTN, there seems to be no "express" model. Additionally, what exactly are people in a small facility in a rural area doing--is the pharmacist making the drugs and ordering all of them? There won't be any rounding, but how much input is the MD looking for? What does the tech do in this setting?
And is there any practical and applicable information on there on practice? Would looking for MD materials be more productive?
I am not sure. When I rotated in outpatient oncology inside a hospital, the pharmacists were evaluating and calculating the dose for chemotherapy drugs and supportive therapy care. The pharmacists would also check technician if there were inaccuracies in sterile compounding. Last, the pharmacist would hand the chemo to nurse for administration and counsel the appropriate patient. The Physician’s role with respect to treatment would the order the chemo and supportive treatment based of of NCCN guidelines. I am not sure of the rural Oncology infusion center. I hope someone in this forum who has worked in Oncology before can help. Have you checked ASHP or ACCP for any materials on Oncology? I think MD materials would delve into too much of Cancer Biology , like the different pathways (MAP kinase pathway etc) and how to classify tumors etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there any hospital guidelines or text books on this matter? Also, how difficult did the work look compared to regular hospital staffing and clinical work?

In addition, prices can be high. What kind of ordering or grant money searching is the pharmacist responsible for?

In addition, prices can be high. What kind of ordering or grant money searching is the pharmacist responsible for?

I feel this is the responsibility of their nurse navigator in terms of seeking out programs for free/reduced cost, pharmacy would handle the back end charge/credits and logging of said free drug/navigate procurement logistics.

Otherwise, financial review fell under patient financial services (or whatever your institution calls it)

I think the most I’ve ever done was stare at QCF amounts and helped calculate estimated doses for a pt sans order to help PFS put in a preliminary prior auth request. Or I’d make sure we’re on the same page about rounding doses so we don’t have issues with authorized amounts at the end of treatment.

If for some bizarro reason this fell to the pharmacist (in addition to the basic calculate/compound/dispense functions), I would probably just finish up the interview and start typing my “thanks, but no thanks” letter.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Applying for a position which you are not qualified. Bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off for you.
They at least offered him an interview. The rural infusion are okay with training OP