• A new admissions hurdle is becoming more common: the CASPer test. Learn more about it at a free webinar hosted by SDN and PrepMatch on May 6th. Register now!
  • Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!
Jan 19, 2021
(Sorry for my poor English. I've raised outside of the US.)

Hi, I'm a freshman and I think I need your help before taking some pre-med courses.
A few of the US medical schools requires "one academic year of XXX (e.g. General Chemistry )" instead of "one year of XXX"
I've had a plan to take Gen Chem1 in summer 2021, and 2 in summer 2022 but I'm confused now thinking I should take all Gen Chem courses in two regular consecutive semesters.

I know this might be a stupid question but do I understand right? : "One academic year of General Chemistry" means one should take Gen Chem 1 in Fall term and Gen Chem 2 in the following Spring term in succession.

ihoop24

2+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
One academic year just means 2 semesters of whatever given subject they are talking about. So taking them both in the summer is essentially the same thing as taking one in the fall and one in the spring.

I would recommend taking them back to back. Why wait a whole year in between them?

Jan 19, 2021
One academic year just means 2 semesters of whatever given subject they are talking about. So taking them both in the summer is essentially the same thing as taking one in the fall and one in the spring.

I would recommend taking them back to back. Why wait a whole year in between them?
Thank you! I've got a situation here but gonna try to take them consecutively as you recommend!

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.