1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

One Biology Course for MCAT but which?

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by Zeloy, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Zeloy

Zeloy Member
    7+ Year Member

Okay so it looks like my schedule is only going to fit one biology class, possibly two. I got credit for AP bio but that was senior year high school, it may come back to me a bit, but I'm not counting on much. Which biology class do you think would be the best to help on the MCAT since that is my main motivation for taking it?

2. superdevil

superdevil planning my escape
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    everyone will probably tell you 'genetics,' which is a good answer, but i think a more high-yield bio topic would be a course in human physiology. i say this because most genetics classes are "either-or" propositions in that they either teach you the molecular aspect, or the population/computational aspect. why take a class that will likely only teach you half of one sub-topic? with human physiology, you'll probably get some endocrinology, some renal, some digestive, some reproductive, etc.....way better bang for your tuition buck, if you ask me.

3. willthatsall

willthatsall Unretired
    7+ Year Member

I would say physiology too, just from what I have heard. Genetics on the MCAT isn't supposed to be that complicated and you would probably be better off just reviewing it.

4. pratik7

pratik7 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    human physiology, endocrinology or maybe neurobiology. They are all pretty good reviews of basic principals

5. apar01

apar01 Certified Consumer
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Genetics would be a good class to take especially since the MCAT is heading towards more DNA/molecular biology questions and less organic.

I think biochemistry is an excellent class to take for the MCAT. The MCAT loves to test on pathways and you get all of that in biochem. If your school offers a survey course in biochem, I would recommend taking that.

Again, none of these classes are truly necessary because the MCAT is supposed to test on "intro biology".

6. NotShorty

NotShorty ~Mr. Bright Side~
    7+ Year Member

COMPARATIVE ANATOMY/PHYSIOLOGY

You WILL see passages on species other than humans.

Well, I make this sound absolute...it's not. My comparative animal phys class was just the most helpful one for me. Taking a genetics class isn't necessary, but reviewing mol gen definitely is.

Take whichever would hold your interest most. You want to avoid burnout.

-NS

7. sistahnik

sistahnik Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    I'm sure you already know that you need to take both intro biology courses, which are prereq's. I was told that the mcat is mostly testing basic level bio and anything beyond that can be extracted from the passages! it's rediculous to take unecessary courses when you can spend time in needed courses. just my .02 cents!!!!

8. UCLAstudent

UCLAstudent I'm a luck dragon!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'd say anatomy. It is true that genetics has been emphasized more in recent years, but the genetics on the MCAT is pretty basic. I think you'd be better off taking an anatomy class.