One for the Underdogs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scaranju13

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I promised myself that if I was accepted to med school I would make a post on here to give future applicants some hope. So I really struggled with the MCAT, the first time I took it I received a low 490 score and the second time I really buckled down and got a 501. That score really isn’t amazing either, but my GPA is pretty solid and I went ahead and applied to many DO schools. I totally thought I would receive one - two interviews at best. I ended up receiving nine and was accepted to six out of the seven I interviewed at and am waiting to hear back from the seventh. This road is long and tedious, but I am extremely grateful to the help given on this site. If anyone has any questions, I’d love to help in anyway I can.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
Wow, that’s amazing. Congratulations! What do you think made you application so successful? Your extracurriculars, gpa or what specifically overall? Thanks for sharing this motivation.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
WOW! that's great to hear! congrats! My MCAT is within your range too and this really does give me hope! do you mind sharing your stats, EC and all the schools you applied? I'm planning to apply this coming cycle

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, that’s amazing. Congratulations! What do you think made you application so successful? Your extracurriculars, gpa or what specifically overall? Thanks for sharing this motivation.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
So looking back now at my application, I think there are a few things that really made a difference. Take this with a grain of salt though, because I’m not 100 percent sure if this is why I was successful. One, my grades we’re very good, especially the last few semesters I got straight A’s. Two, I did not apply right away, I took a gap year and worked full time as a nurse assistant. This I believe is one of the best ways to show devotion to the field of medicine. Three, my letter of recs were from amazing professors who I am very close with on a personal level. Lastly and most importantly, I can interview very well. I love to have conversations with people and it was clear that I genuinely love medicine and want to be an osteopathic physician.

Reactions: 1 users
WOW! that's great to hear! congrats! My MCAT is within your range too and this really does give me hope! do you mind sharing your stats, EC and all the schools you applied? I'm planning to apply this coming cycle
So my GPA was a 3.75 I believe, and my science was like a 3.6 ish. I applied to most DO schools, no MD. I had interviews all over the country, three of the more notable that I was accepted to were LECOM, Campbell and PCOM- PA.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone, I promised myself that if I was accepted to med school I would make a post on here to give future applicants some hope. So I really struggled with the MCAT, the first time I took it I received a low 490 score and the second time I really buckled down and got a 501. That score really isn’t amazing either, but my GPA is pretty solid and I went ahead and applied to many DO schools. I totally thought I would receive one - two interviews at best. I ended up receiving nine and was accepted to six out of the seven I interviewed at and am waiting to hear back from the seventh. This road is long and tedious, but I am extremely grateful to the help given on this site. If anyone has any questions, I’d love to help in anyway I can.
Goro fist bump for you:
:love::love::love::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::love::love::love::luck::luck::luck::highfive::highfive::highfive::hardy::hardy::hardy::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::clap::clap::woot::woot::woot::=|:-)::=|:-)::=|:-)::hello::hello::hello::banana::banana::banana::biglove::biglove::biglove:
Now go read this:
Goro’s guide to success in medical school

Reactions: 4 users