One Health and Vet schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SummerTheLynx

The Bioinformatics DVM student
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

Me and a few other people have been starting the process of developing a One Health club at Mizzou, given that we have a strong presence in terms of the research side of things, but no club for it. I was wondering if anyone could weigh in on a few questions regarding your school and One Health.

1. Does your school have a strong research presence with regards to One Health?
2. Does your school stress one health in some way associated with the curriculum? (courses, concurrent programs [MPH/PhD], etc.)
3. Does your school have a One Health program/club? If so:
a) Is it exclusively for vet students or does it include students of other disciplines?
b) Do you feel like it sufficiently accommodates the different divisions of one health (research based, industry based, environment based)?
c) What have been some of the more memorable talks/trips that was done through your One Health club?
d) What would you have improved about the club if you could do anything to it (hypothetically, with limitless money and time)?
e) Approximately how many members would you estimate are currently in the club?
4) If your school does not have a One Health Program, is their interest for one at your school?

Thank you all for your responses!

@swiniazycie and STL
 
Last edited:
If you PM me an email address, I can probably get someone to get in touch with you who is wayyyy more heavily involved with ours/can provide answers to your questions.

I know a bit, but feel like I wouldn't do it justice.
I can definitely say we have a strong research presence. And we're having a Zoobuquity conference in a few weeks.
 
If you PM me an email address, I can probably get someone to get in touch with you who is wayyyy more heavily involved with ours/can provide answers to your questions.

I know a bit, but feel like I wouldn't do it justice.
I can definitely say we have a strong research presence. And we're having a Zoobuquity conference in a few weeks.
I will definitely send you one, thanks!

And I saw, isn't that the one on April 2nd?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That sounds like an awesome idea. I love it. If you want a speaker I'd be happy to oblige, I like road trips. I really like the idea of a One Health Club....we have some researchy type clubs here but not that focused (to my knowledge), and considering VMCVM is a heavy research institution it might take root. Shoot me a PM. This is something I might be able to push it from a semi-faculty side on the East Coast at least.
 
Last edited:
I know that Tufts has the Masters of Conservation Medicine which has that one health aspect to it and takes students from various disciplines.

SGU has the dual degree option DVM/MPH or DVM/MS (wildlife conservation medicine). They also have the one health one movement club.

Maybe students from those schools could also shed some info!
 
Hey guys,

Me and a few other people have been starting the process of developing a One Health club at Mizzou, given that we have a strong presence in terms of the research side of things, but no club for it. I was wondering if anyone could weigh in on a few questions regarding your school and One Health.

1. Does your school have a strong research presence with regards to One Health?
2. Does your school stress one health in some way associated with the curriculum? (courses, concurrent programs [MPH/PhD], etc.)
3. Does your school have a One Health program? If so:
a) Is it exclusively for vet students or does it include students of other disciplines?
b) Do you feel like it sufficiently accommodates the different divisions of one health (research based, industry based, environment based)?
c) What have been some of the more memorable talks/trips that was done through your One Health club?
d) What would you have improved about the club if you could do anything to it (hypothetically, with limitless money and time)?
e) Approximately how many members would you estimate are currently in the club?
4) If your school does not have a One Health Program, is their interest for one at your school?

Thank you all for your responses!

@swiniazycie and STL
I'm a second year vet student at the University of Illinois. I'm also the treasurer of our Public Health Association.
1. Does your school have a strong research presence with regards to One Health?
-In general, our school has a massive amount of research. We have a dairy farm across the road from us where they do feed studies, a huge microbiology research department, and several of our exotics professors do research on the side. In fact, this summer I'll be working with one on a wildlife disease project.
2. Does your school stress one health in some way associated with the curriculum?
-Yes it does. We have the combined degree program DVM/MPH that's associated with the branch of the school up in Chicago. We also have several classes related to a One Health atmosphere, such as ecotoxicology, ecosystem health, a class called one health one medicine, and several for large animal (I haven't taken any of those, I just know they exist).
3. Does your school have a One Health program?
-If I'm understanding it correctly, I believe we do.
a) Is it exclusively for vet students or does it include students of other disciplines?
-The club I'm in is exclusively vet students, though occasionally we work with other clubs in other colleges of the school. The electives I've listed above are open to grad students of varying types. My ecosystems health class has about 8 grad students in it right now.
b) Do you feel like it sufficiently accommodates the different divisions of one health?
-As far as the classes I've taken, I do. Our club also this year has tried to increase the awareness that public health is an aspect of every single part of being a veterinarian. We had a panel of professors from varying backgrounds (small, large, research, exotics, etc) come in and talk about their experiences with one health and why it's important.
c) What have been some of the memorable trips/talks that was done through the One Health club?
-Our club takes at least one "Farm to Fork" trip a year where they take a handful of members to a farm and follow it through to a slaughterhouse and then to a restaurant, explaining the different aspects of public health that goes into each step and the role of the veterinarian. We usually team up with the Welfare Club for this event. We've also had the emergency response coordinator for our county come in and talk about how we can help if an emergency arises. We've had representatives from the Air Force talk about the roles of veterinarians in the military and talked about the scholarship offered as well.
d) What would you do to the club if you could improve it?
-If we could, I'd say take more trips to visit research centers that specialize in one health or bring in veterinarians who were ground-breakers in the one health aspect of our field. However, most like to be paid so it gets expensive.
e) Approximately how many members would you estimate to be in the club?
-With our board, it's 21 people.

I hope this helps you guys as you start your process. It might be a good idea to send out a college wide email asking how many would be interested in joining a one health club. If very few are interested, it may not be worth it to try to start one due to cost of lecturers coming in and trips. Dues would have to be kind of high to support it unless you can get money from your SAVMA. Our club has been around for a while so we have accumulated some buffer when we have low interest years. Just something to think about. Good luck!
 
@Filly Bay - I heard rumors that Ohio State has a one health club, could you verify one way or the other?

Also, if there is anyone out there from Washington who has insight into your One Health club, I would love to hear about it! 🙂
 
Mississippi has a One Health club. Of course I can't tell you much about it, since I'm not there yet, but I'll be happy to bump this when I do get there.
 
Iowa has a public health club, not a one health club, but it's the same kind of thing: wellness weeks, one health speakers, and public health rabies clinics. They talk about it in a few different courses too. Also have a dual DVM/MPH with Univ of Iowa. I think Iowa in general has more of a public service approach, and I know they look for this quality in their applicants, so they've embraced one health as part of that. The Center for Food Security and Public Health is located at ISU, and our immunology course and foreign animal disease course are both taught by the head of CFSPH.
 
I heard rumors that Ohio State has a one health club...

The vet school has the Veterinary Public Health Club which is made up predominantly of vet students and some graduate students in the MPH-VPH program. University wide there is the student organization "Global Health Initiative" which has representatives from the different health science colleges including the vet school.
 
The vet school has the Veterinary Public Health Club which is made up predominantly of vet students and some graduate students in the MPH-VPH program. University wide there is the student organization "Global Health Initiative" which has representatives from the different health science colleges including the vet school.
Do you know the set up of the one that incorporates all of the different health science colleges?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So apparently that club is just veterinary and pharmacy. :shrug:

We do have IPC (Inter-Professional Council) which isn't a club per say but they set up a lot of events for all the professional colleges to go to/co-mingle. That's been around for awhile though. (http://ipc.osu.edu/) It includes students from Dentistry, Law, Medicine, Optometry, Pharmacy, and Veterinary Medicine.
 
IPC does put together the annual Health Professionals summit (https://www.facebook.com/HPSatOSU)

There's something called iPEP events each semester (http://u.osu.edu/healthsciences/education/interprofessional-education-and-practice-ipep/) but I haven't been to any of those so I'm not sure who runs them. They are starting to require/encourage the class below me to attend these things. I didn't know about them until this semester. There's a lot of "one health" stuff throughout OSU but I can't seem to pinpoint one club that is specifically for that reason (unless you were talking about IPC).
 
We don't have a One Health club here, but we do "One Health One Medicine" clinics through the vet school's VPH committee of SCAVMA. Groups of vet students and med students go out twice a semester to different areas of the island and put on free clinics for locals. They bring whatever animals they have and we examine them, vaccinate them, and sometimes take them to the small animal clinic if they need further treatment. We also educate them about spaying and neutering, rabies, and other things. The med school gives exams to humans, taking blood pressures, stuff like that. Not sure details of what exactly they do but they're always really neat events and have huge turn-out. Obviously probably not something that can be done in the US but thought I'd chime in with what our "one health" stuff down here is like if it sparks any ideas 🙂

Curriculum-wise they do stress the one health thing a lot, especially in our public health class. I think it's beneficial to be on a campus with a vet and a med school and it's good to have the students co-mingle, even if we aren't fans of the med students 95% of the time 😛