• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

One letter of reference from two physicians?

Feb 21, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
    I have multiple physicians from my work offering to write me a letter. Unfortunately, due to letter requirements from the schools I plan on applying to, I would only be able to submit one while staying under the max of 5.

Would adcoms think it strange to have one letter written and signed by two physicians? Has anyone done this before? Is there any point in doing this?

gyngyn

Alta California
    Staff member
    Administrator
    Volunteer Staff
    Lifetime Donor
    10+ Year Member
    Verified Expert
  • Nov 4, 2011
    1. Attending Physician
      Only a handful of MD schools want a clinical letter. A physician letter is acceptable for these. You can have as many folks sign as you like. I cannot recommend burning one of your LOE options on a physician letter unless they know you really well and can speak in depth on your competencies. Shadowing letters are useless. Letters from scribing aren't much better.

On the other hand, DO's love a DO letter.

Last edited:
      About the Ads

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
      Verified Expert
      15+ Year Member
      Mar 7, 2005
      1. Academic Administration
        OK, so the OP is a clinical pharmacist in an emergency department. That's a bit different than shadowing or scribing. I think that under the circumstances, a LOR signed by two people would not raise any eyebrows. Be sure they focus on teamwork, initiative, fund of knowledge, and that sort of thing. Ask them not to give an opinion about your grades, MCAT, other activities, etc. It is much more valuable to have them tell us what they've witnessed that fits with being a good med student and a good doctor than what they see in your application packet.

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.