One letter of reference from two physicians?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
I have multiple physicians from my work offering to write me a letter. Unfortunately, due to letter requirements from the schools I plan on applying to, I would only be able to submit one while staying under the max of 5.

Would adcoms think it strange to have one letter written and signed by two physicians? Has anyone done this before? Is there any point in doing this?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you should bother submitting it at all.

Only a handful of MD schools want a clinical letter. A physician letter is acceptable for these. You can have as many folks sign as you like. I cannot recommend burning one of your LOE options on a physician letter unless they know you really well and can speak in depth on your competencies. Shadowing letters are useless. Letters from scribing aren't much better.

On the other hand, DO's love a DO letter.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
OK, so the OP is a clinical pharmacist in an emergency department. That's a bit different than shadowing or scribing. I think that under the circumstances, a LOR signed by two people would not raise any eyebrows. Be sure they focus on teamwork, initiative, fund of knowledge, and that sort of thing. Ask them not to give an opinion about your grades, MCAT, other activities, etc. It is much more valuable to have them tell us what they've witnessed that fits with being a good med student and a good doctor than what they see in your application packet.