One spelling error on already submitted amcas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nycfella

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How big of a deal do you think it is? On one one hand it is just one spelling error, but on the other hand it is your application to med school...you would think a person would check spelling

Members don't see this ad.

That's why they tell you to proofread it and have others read it before you hit that submit button. You can't change it now. My advice would be to just try and forget about it since you can't do anything.

YOU'RE SCREWED!!!!!

Just kidding. I did it too and I turned out okay. Actually, now that I think of it, that may be what kept me out of Columbia and U of M. Oh wait, that was my MCAT. You're probably ok

Members don't see this ad :)
Spelling errors are ok. Grammatical errors are not. Relax! :D

As long as what you were trying to say can still be understandable, I dont think it will be a problem. Where was the error? In your PS or extras?

Typos happen. As long as you don't do ripitetive and outrayjeously stupid things(you're = your, etc.), I think a single typo will be oveerloked.

Unless of course, it is a hilarious typo, in which case it will probably be shared until the adcom has finished busting its collective gut, at which point the serious review of your application will resume.

in a major lab report last year, i had meant to write down "Ca++ is pumped out [of the cell]" but mistakingly wrote "Ca++ is pimped out." needless to say, my professor had a good laugh. OP, you'll be fine. hell, if its a comical typo, it will give the adcoms a refreshing break from the boredom of reading personal statements. :hardy:

in a major lab report last year, i had meant to write down "Ca++ is pumped out [of the cell]" but mistakingly wrote "Ca++ is pimped out." needless to say, my professor had a good laugh. OP, you'll be fine. hell, if its a comical typo, it will give the adcoms a refreshing break from the boredom of reading personal statements. :hardy:

Yes...my friend once wrote that one of the characters in this book she was reading heard someone **** something in the distance, or something like that, when she meant to say shot...her prof got a great laugh because it worked so well with the essay.

don't worry about it...it won't matter if you do anyways.

well, so you feel better...it's just a mini error and prob won't even be noticed or even matter and if its egregious at least the adcoms can laugh about it with you . when i was in high school i wrote an essay and submitted it for a scholarship about how i wanted to be a doctor and throughout the essay i spelled medicine like medecine. my dad was so pissed when he proofed it after i'd already sent it out.

It probably just depends on how anal whoever reviews your file is. From speaking with many adcom members, it seems everyone has a different view on this. Some adcom members have told me they read with a highlighter and make a note of every mistake. Some say they just gloss over them. Me, personally, I have found at least 4 typos in my primary from last year... it probably won't matter, so don't worry! You can't change it now anyway, just go forward with a positive outlook.

Good luck!