Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

One summer of research

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by NP545, 05.14.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. NP545

NP545 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental, Pre-Medical
    I am going to do research this summer for about 30-35 hours per week in a lab at my college. Is this "enough" for the unwritten med school requirement?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. mmmcdowe

mmmcdowe Duke of minimal vowels Gold Donor SDN Moderator 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    SDN
    Author
    Is it enough, sure. Is it going make you a strong research oriented candidate for top programs, no.

4. nemo123

nemo123 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It's more important to be able to explain what you got out of the experience (i.e. were you just washing dishes and autoclaving stuff or did you have some role in hypothesis testing).

Shazam243 likes this.
  5. NP545

NP545 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental, Pre-Medical
    Is it worth doing it though (if it's the only research part of my entire app)? For the beginning I would be in training and learning how to do stuff but later on I may be able to start my own project or help on someone else's.

I'm not really too interested in research and only was considering doing it to fill the unwritten requirement

6. Shazam243

Shazam243 2+ Year Member

Do you have anything else you could/would rather be doing? If you're planning on applying to a bunch of research-heavy schools, you should definitely do it. Otherwise, it would be better if you find something else (volunteer-oriented) to do that you think you would actually like. It's not too late to be applying to volunteer things right now. One of the best things I've ever done was volunteer in a free health clinic.

You can actually get a lot out of it (research) for yourself, for your application, and for the interviews. I had two summers worth of research experience and it was more than enough to talk about.

About the ads