One whole year without school, oh my GOD!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purplelife

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have never in my entire life been out of school for 1 whole year. I know this sounds funny, but to me the thought of that is kinda scary:scared: . I am junior in college with no dental experience and haven’t taken DAT, so I can’t apply to schools this May for 2008. That means when I graduate from college next year, I would have no school for one whole year. What will I do for one whole year? That will be waste of my time. I am worried. What will I tell dent school when they will ask what did you do the whole entire year? How do dent school look at this case?

Members don't see this ad.

Why can't you take the DAT this summer? That would still be fine for admission in 2008. You can get all the shadowing and study time you need in one summer.

Don't worry. A lot of people take a year off before they start dental school. Some have taken many years (me). I'm sure you'll find something to do. Be sure to work hard during the summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Use that time off to improve the strength of your application. Shadow, volunteer, research, just getting experience any way you can.

I have never in my entire life been out of school for 1 whole year. I know this sounds funny, but to me the thought of that is kinda scary:scared: . I am junior in college with no dental experience and haven’t taken DAT, so I can’t apply to schools this May for 2008. That means when I graduate from college next year, I would have no school for one whole year. What will I do for one whole year? That will be waste of my time. I am worried. What will I tell dent school when they will ask what did you do the whole entire year? How do dent school look at this case?

I was exactly in your position! I def know how you feel. I graduated last year in May 2006 and I can't believe it's been almost a year! I have worked, done research and fully concentrated for the application cycle. Seriously, time flies...taking a year off is NOT a big deal at all!

BUTTT you still have plenty of time to prepare for cycle 2008. Shadow, volunteer and study for the DAT and get everything in as soon as possible. YOu STILL HAVE TIME! :luck:

First, decide whether or not d-school is really what you want. I agree that it's no big deal to take a year off. Don't panic-you'll find something to do with the time.

However, I agree that you could open the yellow pages tomorrow and find a dentist to shadow, starting with shadow time next week. You could also start contacting professors and mentioning your imminent d-school app. This you could probably do via e-mail tonight. Then follow up with some conversations either after lecture or in office hours-this you could start next week. Then look around for and select a DAT review course, and start thinking about filling out the DAT registration for a test date this summer. This you could also do before spring break. Then find some volunteer activities to do (20-30 hours possibly over a period of three weekends during the rest of spring semester). You could probably get in 40 hours of shadow time during spring break. Don't lose your cool. Just get refocused and you'll be in good shape by mid-May for AADSAS. Alternatively, you can do all of the above in your senior year, or later.

First, decide whether or not d-school is really what you want. I agree that it's no big deal to take a year off. Don't panic-you'll find something to do with the time.

However, I agree that you could open the yellow pages tomorrow and find a dentist to shadow, starting with shadow time next week. You could also start contacting professors and mentioning your imminent d-school app. This you could probably do via e-mail tonight. Then follow up with some conversations either after lecture or in office hours-this you could start next week. Then look around for and select a DAT review course, and start thinking about filling out the DAT registration for a test date this summer. This you could also do before spring break. Then find some volunteer activities to do (20-30 hours possibly over a period of three weekends during the rest of spring semester). You could probably get in 40 hours of shadow time during spring break. Don't lose your cool. Just get refocused and you'll be in good shape by mid-May for AADSAS. Alternatively, you can do all of the above in your senior year, or later.

Yep, not a bad plan. It's do-able if you really want it. IMO, the big kicker is where your DAT and GPA stand, if those are in a good shape, then I'd go for it. On the other hand, NOTHING wrong with taking a year off.

I graduated in June 2005, so I have been out of school for almost two years. It has been the best time of my life. Enjoy it, live it up, travel, do what you want to do because once dental school starts you are going to have a boat load of responsibility. Not that I am not responsible now, I am just saying enjoy and appreciate the time off, especially when you are young.