One year English requirement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clocks123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that most school require two semesters of English. Does this mean that I must complete the courses before I apply or can I take them my senior year? I'm a junior presently and hoping to apply this summer.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the school. At Columbia, you can take a prerequisite senior year after you apply. At other schools, you may not be able to do so. Certain schools accept other writing-heavy courses in place of English. At some schools, there are no English requirements at all.

I know that most school require two semesters of English. Does this mean that I must complete the courses before I apply or can I take them my senior year? I'm a junior presently and hoping to apply this summer.

It depends on the school, but for most schools, you're good as long as you complete the requirements before you matriculate.

Every school I looked at only required you completed the required courses previous to matriculation. Even if you didn't have them on your transcript you could still get in - but if you didn't fulfill a requirement you'd have to do so prior to matriculation.

As for the requirements themselves, it's dependent upon the school in how strict they are, if at all. The vast majority didn't have any specific requirement or would accept any form of writing-intensive course. Even though I had several qualifying English courses, I smuggly put in science-based writing-intensive courses at these programs because I ran out of ways to entertain myself during the application cycle.

As long as you fulfill the requirements prior to matriculation - in the end, it doesn't even matter.